Extensions and hair colour query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie-Liz

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I have a question about whether an OTC box colour should be used on hair extensions or not?
I only ask because an extensionist i planned to use (newly qualified) said she would charge me a consultation fee to colour match my hair then take a deposit to oreder the hair - this is understandable but then she said it would cost me more again to have a box dye put on it. Is this ok for hair extensions? Im a hairdresser and wouldnt put a box dye on my own hair but i have no knowledge of extensions and wondered if this was ok?
I have had microloops before but my hair was a chestnut brown so it was an easy colour to match. Its now a deep red wine and its ombrè with bleach on the ends. I am desperate to have them done again but properly and professionally. So just thought i would check with people who are perhaps more experienced or in the know. Thanks in advance x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi geeks,
I have a question about whether an OTC box colour should be used on hair extensions or not?
I only ask because an extensionist i planned to use (newly qualified) said she would charge me a consultation fee to colour match my hair then take a deposit to oreder the hair - this is understandable but then she said it would cost me more again to have a box dye put on it. Is this ok for hair extensions? Im a hairdresser and wouldnt put a box dye on my own hair but i have no knowledge of extensions and wondered if this was ok?
I have had microloops before but my hair was a chestnut brown so it was an easy colour to match. Its now a deep red wine and its ombrè with bleach on the ends. I am desperate to have them done again but properly and professionally. So just thought i would check with people who are perhaps more experienced or in the know. Thanks in advance x

First of all I find it strange she is going to charge you for a consultation and match up your colour (normally this is free). Do you live far away from her? I would be very wary of this extensionist as no it's not a good idea to put a "box dye" on hair extensions. I'm guessing she's not a hairdresser then. I wouldn't go with this person as she doesn't sound professional at all in my opinion! X

Last edited:
You could colour them yourself better tho couldn't you if your a hairdresser?? You can colour hair extensions but don't get the colour on the bond area, also make sure you really rub the colour in well or you'll end up with "leopard spots" on them, I've heared different things about colouring extensions I've personally never applied colour to the bonds I go around them but I know people who just colour over them regardless, I wouldn't do it myself tho I wouldn't want to chance ruining the bonds before their even applied

First of all I find it strange she is going to charge you for a consultation and match up your colour (normally this is free). Do you live far away from her? I would be very wary of this extensionist as no it's not a good idea to put a "box dye" on hair extensions. I'm guessing she's not a hairdresser then. I wouldn't go with this person as she doesn't sound professional at all in my opinion! X

Thank you for replying both :)

I live about 5 miles from her and was opting to go to her as i have 3 children and theres nowhere quiet to go in my tiny house.

She isnt a hairdresser, she literally woke up one morning and booked onto an extensions course via a local salon.

Kahuna my concern was if i'm being charged for a colour match consultation then surely they would not need colouring? Im just a bit baffled and tbh without paying all these 'extras' her cost is really quite low so maybe i should steer clear. Is it rude to ask an extensionist which brand/kind of hair they are using? Or should i just leave it and keep searching around? X

If it was me personally I would search around for someone else. If an extensionist said to me about putting a box colour on the extensions, alarm bells would be ringing in my head. Always remember "pay cheap,pay twice". There's nothing wrong with you asking about where the hair is from and the quality etc x

If it was me personally I would search around for someone else. If an extensionist said to me about putting a box colour on the extensions, alarm bells would be ringing in my head. Always remember "pay cheap,pay twice". There's nothing wrong with you asking about where the hair is from and the quality etc x

Thank you babychops. I didnt want to sound rude or nosey if i did ask about the hair. I think I will look elsewhere instead. I had to ask on here because the box dye thing was bothering me.

I expect clients to ask me about the quality of the hair etc. your paying for it so you should know about the hair. Just make sure you don't go with someone really cheap as if you want good quality hair it will cost more money. A lot of extensionist say it's great quality and charge next to nothing but it's common sense that it will be cheap hair. She may be doing a cheaper price as she's just qualified though. It's not good if she's talking about using box dyes on them though. Sometimes you can find people that are looking for models and do it at a reduced price, you might find someone like that x

I have coloured my pre bonded extensions myself. They were a bleach blonde and I decided to dye my own hair a red wine. I consulted my own hairdresser as to the colours used and then bought from sallys and did it myself. Needless to say it was VERY hard, to even get the colouring right, I ended up using a semi to pre pig and then a actual dye.
It didn't hurt the extensions or make them last any less but it is very very awkward. As you are a hairdresser you would definitely be better dying them yourself properly (not a box dye at all!)

The Extensionist really should have numerous colour swatches to be able to match up own hair from different suppliers, unless it a very unique colour you have ?

I would steer clear, she's probably buying them off eBay or somewhere else very cheaply and they don't have your exact colour so she's gonna try to match them up, as a hairdresser you know yourself it takes a fair bit of colour knowledge to match up a colour, so I'm doubtful that's going to go well, I'm shocked by how many people are offering extensions for less than £150 these days I really don't get how it's possible, I'm all for using cheap alternatives where possible but every time I've done extensions I've had a £100 deposit off the client and still had to put my hand in my own pocket to pay the difference, I would never ask a client to pay for any extras tho that is a bit strange? Surley the price of the job should include everything? & no it's definatley not rude to ask where the hair is coming from, if she said balmain you'd probably be happy but the truth is it's more likely to be eBay, I've heared mixed reviews about the hair on there some good some bad, u never know really untill you try it, maybe you'd be better off asking a hairdresser rather than just an extensionist to do them for you and pay a little more x

I would steer clear, she's probably buying them off eBay or somewhere else very cheaply and they don't have your exact colour so she's gonna try to match them up, as a hairdresser you know yourself it takes a fair bit of colour knowledge to match up a colour, so I'm doubtful that's going to go well, I'm shocked by how many people are offering extensions for less than £150 these days I really don't get how it's possible, I'm all for using cheap alternatives where possible but every time I've done extensions I've had a £100 deposit off the client and still had to put my hand in my own pocket to pay the difference, I would never ask a client to pay for any extras tho that is a bit strange? Surley the price of the job should include everything? & no it's definatley not rude to ask where the hair is coming from, if she said balmain you'd probably be happy but the truth is it's more likely to be eBay, I've heared mixed reviews about the hair on there some good some bad, u never know really untill you try it, maybe you'd be better off asking a hairdresser rather than just an extensionist to do them for you and pay a little more x

thank you for your advice. i have decided to leave it for now, probably be a good idea to check out other extentionists and hairdressers who cover extentions in my area. i have bought hair off ebay before but it was clip in to be added to a prom hair up and tbh even though the description said remy human hair the quality was questionable. it was lovely for a one time occasion. I do appreciate the advice :) x

I have coloured my pre bonded extensions myself. They were a bleach blonde and I decided to dye my own hair a red wine. I consulted my own hairdresser as to the colours used and then bought from sallys and did it myself. Needless to say it was VERY hard, to even get the colouring right, I ended up using a semi to pre pig and then a actual dye.
It didn't hurt the extensions or make them last any less but it is very very awkward. As you are a hairdresser you would definitely be better dying them yourself properly (not a box dye at all!)

The Extensionist really should have numerous colour swatches to be able to match up own hair from different suppliers, unless it a very unique colour you have ?

my colour is a cool red by Goldwell. base of a 6 its not exactly difficult to match i'm sure. thanks for your input x

Have a look for custom made dip dye which would suit your ombre, you can send a sample of your own hair an they can match it perfectly, you will however maybe have to wait a couple of weeks for them to be made.. Box dye's are ok if the extensions are of a decent quality or virgin hair but not something I'd be willing to do. SJK do custom made hair in good lengths too...
:)

Have a look for custom made dip dye which would suit your ombre, you can send a sample of your own hair an they can match it perfectly, you will however maybe have to wait a couple of weeks for them to be made.. Box dye's are ok if the extensions are of a decent quality or virgin hair but not something I'd be willing to do. SJK do custom made hair in good lengths too...
:)

Thank you for this, I didn't know you could send a sample off for matching, that is brilliant! Do extentionists install hair bought by the client? I don't have any training or experience with hair extensions (except clip in's as part of hair up we covered a unit that included adding temporary hair pieces) so I'd assume I couldn't source my own hair really? I think perhaps I would be best off finding a more experienced extensionist instead. I know we all start somewhere but I do worry and this girl may not be the one for my hair. I get funny about having a trim so this was inevitable with adding hair by the looks x

Latest posts

Back