I need help with hair dye please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailishlayden

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m not a hair dresser but I recently dyed my hair at a salon to go back to my natural colour (7na) from blonde. The stylist said they ran out of permanent dye after already starting the process on me, and said she could use a semi perm instead. She said it was practically the same thing but would allow the blonde to shine through. However after doing some research it looks like it might completely fade after 3 weeks or so? My problem with this is it was the exact same price as if I were to use a permanent dye, and I was originally moving from blonde because I can’t keep up with the price. However this will end up even more expensive if I have to update it every 3/4 weeks. Is this true or do I not understand how semi permanent works?

Hi all, I’m not a hair dresser but I recently dyed my hair at a salon to go back to my natural colour (7na) from blonde. The stylist said they ran out of permanent dye after already starting the process on me, and said she could use a semi perm instead. She said it was practically the same thing but would allow the blonde to shine through. However after doing some research it looks like it might completely fade after 3 weeks or so? My problem with this is it was the exact same price as if I were to use a permanent dye, and I was originally moving from blonde because I can’t keep up with the price. However this will end up even more expensive if I have to update it every 3/4 weeks. Is this true or do I not understand how semi permanent works?
I hate that as an industry we use permanent and semi permanent.
The reality is a permanent tint would still fade over blonde hair- it's just nature of the beast.
Permanent colours are designed to give 70%+ white/grey coverage, they can lift the hair several levels. Permanent tint will leave you with a solid line at the roots when your hair starts to grow out.

Semi/demi permanent. Gives up to 70% white coverage. It's designed to deposit colour only - not lift.
The intensity of the colour depletes over washes so when your roots comes through the line is a lot less obvious.

If I'm being completely honest, if it was me who did your hair I'd have used a Demi permanent anyway.
Permanent colour won't cover blonde any better, because it's designed to lighten the hair , which you don't need.
Also you want low maintenance so a softer less noticeable root sounds like a good idea.
The stylist should have explained to you that regardless of which shade they applied , after a few weeks the colour will fade. It'll take probably another 2 times before the colour really starts to hold. After that it'll be very low maintenance. Also make sure you're using a good quality colour protection shampoo and conditioner.

I hate that as an industry we use permanent and semi permanent.
The reality is a permanent tint would still fade over blonde hair- it's just nature of the beast.
Permanent colours are designed to give 70%+ white/grey coverage, they can lift the hair several levels. Permanent tint will leave you with a solid line at the roots when your hair starts to grow out.

Semi/demi permanent. Gives up to 70% white coverage. It's designed to deposit colour only - not lift.
The intensity of the colour depletes over washes so when your roots comes through the line is a lot less obvious.

If I'm being completely honest, if it was me who did your hair I'd have used a Demi permanent anyway.
Permanent colour won't cover blonde any better, because it's designed to lighten the hair , which you don't need.
Also you want low maintenance so a softer less noticeable root sounds like a good idea.
The stylist should have explained to you that regardless of which shade they applied , after a few weeks the colour will fade. It'll take probably another 2 times before the colour really starts to hold. After that it'll be very low maintenance. Also make sure you're using a good quality colour protection shampoo and conditioner.
Also you may benefit from using a pigmented mask to refresh the colour in between. Ones I'd recommend are Marissa Nilla. Or Evo fabuloso.

Latest posts

Back