Extensions- strand sizes question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solong1

Reaction score
Hello,
I've just completed a Hair Extension course and am currently practising LOADS on my training head before I let myself loose on some willing family members.
I'm getting my sections and rows nice and neat which has pleased me and I enjoyed my training but I'm worried about section sizes- as in how much of the natural hair to add to the extension.
On the course, I was taught to lightly scrape the surface in each section of the client's hair with the end of the sectioning comb- they were about 1cm wide but very thin on the ground in terms of thickness.
I would have thought they should be a bit thicker to help hold the weight of the extension?
Obviously my tutors were trained pros so I didn't want to query their method as I'm only a beginner.
I read elsewhere that sections should be as big as the extension strand to ensure even weight distribution- something I would have thought would go without saying because surely too little of the clients hair in each section wouldn't be enough to support the extension strand? I've read a lot about traction alopecia and this really unnerves me so I would rather use too much hair than too little- is there a reason it should be kept thin?
Another thing is when I do micro rings, I'm finding that I keep pushing out the inner silicone ring when I insert the stick tip hair into the ring.
Common sense tells me I've got too much hair in the ring and not enough room for the stick tip to go in without pushing out the inner ring, but again, the hair I picked up in the ring always seems too thin, I feel like I need to add more but I'd never get the extension in if I did.
I think my rings are 3mm and apparently this is the best size to use.
I'm not really comfortable with using such little sections as I was taught to because of this constant worry of causing traction alopecia. I really want to make sure I've got enough hair in there so I don't cause people discomfort or any complications.
I wear fusion bonds myself and there are a few that I'm sure have had too little hair put in and the weight does tug and strain my scalp.
I don't want this for my clients, I really want to give them the best service possible.
Please could you advise how much hair of the client's hair you add to extensions and also where I'm going wrong with keeping pushing out the inner ring of the micro rings.
Thanks in advance :) x

Hi,

I was taught to take the same thickness of hair as the extensions. I was also told one of the main causes for traction alopecia and bad reps for extensions is that extensionists or YouTube taught extensionists are taking too thin sections and attaching an extension that is too heavy and pulls on the natural hair.x

Thanks- my thoughts exactly! As a wearer myself I know how sore it can be from experience.
I was told a few times I had too much hair on the course, though I didn't question it as it would have been rude with me being a beginner.
I will be matching to the extension size from now on though, I suppose different people have different opinions on what is ok x

I use 5mm rings and they look fine in the hair.. it depends how thick the tips are...

Hi I did my training a couple of weeks ago and was taught to match the quantity of hair to the extension.

I cant comment on microrings as I didnt do them but if your practasing on a black haired chinese head they are horrible to work on! Bald & you cant get a straight line! Im sure it'l all come together on your first real head

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

I've found this post particularly useful as I have just completed my training too.

I learnt micro ring and pre bonded.

I was taught that you should match the clients hair to the strands. This way there should be no tention. That seems to be what other people are saying on here too, luckily!

I am currently practicing lots on my traing head! i find this a bit irrating as you can't get a straight line, so my rows always look a bit messy. I will be letting loose on my first client next week!

Good luck x

Hello,
I've just completed a Hair Extension course and am currently practising LOADS on my training head before I let myself loose on some willing family members.
I'm getting my sections and rows nice and neat which has pleased me and I enjoyed my training but I'm worried about section sizes- as in how much of the natural hair to add to the extension.
On the course, I was taught to lightly scrape the surface in each section of the client's hair with the end of the sectioning comb- they were about 1cm wide but very thin on the ground in terms of thickness.
I would have thought they should be a bit thicker to help hold the weight of the extension?
Obviously my tutors were trained pros so I didn't want to query their method as I'm only a beginner.
I read elsewhere that sections should be as big as the extension strand to ensure even weight distribution- something I would have thought would go without saying because surely too little of the clients hair in each section wouldn't be enough to support the extension strand? I've read a lot about traction alopecia and this really unnerves me so I would rather use too much hair than too little- is there a reason it should be kept thin?
Another thing is when I do micro rings, I'm finding that I keep pushing out the inner silicone ring when I insert the stick tip hair into the ring.
Common sense tells me I've got too much hair in the ring and not enough room for the stick tip to go in without pushing out the inner ring, but again, the hair I picked up in the ring always seems too thin, I feel like I need to add more but I'd never get the extension in if I did.
I think my rings are 3mm and apparently this is the best size to use.
I'm not really comfortable with using such little sections as I was taught to because of this constant worry of causing traction alopecia. I really want to make sure I've got enough hair in there so I don't cause people discomfort or any complications.
I wear fusion bonds myself and there are a few that I'm sure have had too little hair put in and the weight does tug and strain my scalp.
I don't want this for my clients, I really want to give them the best service possible.
Please could you advise how much hair of the client's hair you add to extensions and also where I'm going wrong with keeping pushing out the inner ring of the micro rings.
Thanks in advance :) x

What i was taught in my course, 1cm wide sections but flat rectanglesor double width of a nail tip and its been fine so far on clients. i suppose if the clients got thinner, weaker hair, then go with slightly bigger sections as my trainer told me or traction alopecia can occur. good luck hun xx

Thanks for all the replies ladies.
I'm really 'getting it' now. Even on the awful doll's head, my rows are looking nice & neat now.
I think if you can crack it on the doll's head, you know you'll do just fine on a real person lol!
Another thing, I've been using the crotchet hook for micro beads (very fiddly with talons like mine) but I got myself an easy threader (loop) and it's now a doddle.
Really really enjoying it! Can't wait to do my first 'real' full head.
Good luck to any others just trained :) x

Thanks for all the replies ladies.
I'm really 'getting it' now. Even on the awful doll's head, my rows are looking nice & neat now.
I think if you can crack it on the doll's head, you know you'll do just fine on a real person lol!
Another thing, I've been using the crotchet hook for micro beads (very fiddly with talons like mine) but I got myself an easy threader (loop) and it's now a doddle.
Really really enjoying it! Can't wait to do my first 'real' full head.
Good luck to any others just trained :) x

So glad to hear that, with my kit I gotta threader and I found if the hair was thicker sections but just ordered a loop tool now as it looks so easy!!xx

That was supposed to say if the hairs thicker or thicker sections you can't always get the hook closed.. Silly app never works right !

Which course did you do if you don't mind me asking?

Latest posts

Back