Extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesLashes

Reaction score
Looking for some advice from some hair professionals about extensions please. I have spoken to two different people about hair extensions and both have advised different types. I have quite fine hair, with lots of blonde highlights through and sitting just above my shoulders. I really want the extensions to thicken as well as lengthen my hair.

The first lady i spoke to advised me to go for the pre bonded type as they are great for thickening - she then said she can make up her own bonds to make them really thick but we could discuss that at consultation.

The second lady said she advises me to get the micro weave as they are better for fine hair. I haven't seen these type before and when I looked on the net I got more confused. I got from it that the extensions are sewn onto a track, is that right? How do they work in with my own hair?

I understand it is hard to offer advice when you haven't seen my own hair but i just don't want to spend all this money and then not like them and want them out (at extra cost). If people could offer their opinions on the pros and cons for both and how they would work on my hair that would be great xx

hi i'm a nail and skin geek not a hair geek, but reading ur info ur hair sounds like mine and i decided to take the plunge and have some hair extensions in summer as i was going to ibiza with my mates, i have absolutely loved them!!! but like u i feel like its a mine field out there haha. i had the fusion method 3/4 head which were absolutely great i felt like i had loads of hair to play with,but i had a rotation after 6wks and after this i got matting within 2 wks and had to have some removed. i am ready now for some more maintainace and have decided to take my fusion method ones out and have the pre bonded ones, (i have also changed extensionist to a lady whom i met on here) i have tried the extenshells but they did not last on my hair they slipped quite a bit so thats why we have ruled them out even thou the were some comfortable to wear, anyway i'm having much smaller prebond 1's now so as not to cause to much weight pulling down on my already fine hair. ooh also take lifeplan seakelp 400mg to thicken up your own hair. hope this helps x

Do you mean micro weft ? If so this is a very good weft system that requires no plaiting , sewing or glue and is taped in.
I use these and find alot of first timers really like these, as they can be also attached to clips instead of being taped in !

Micro weft is a great fitting though is not taped in but fitted using micro-rings, as the name suggests. I think it would work well for you but it depends if your hair will hold micro-rings. Only your extensionist can tell you this after a consultation. Sometimes fine hair is not best suited to it. Otherwise the pre-bonds would be a good option. Your lady talking about using fusion so she can make the bonds thicker is not sounding like a good technician to me. If your hair is fine it shouldn't have extra heavy bonds applied or it will bring yours out. She should know this.
Keep searching and go along to some consultations. There is no obligation at a consultation and you can make it clear at the start you are only investigating possibilities. Ask lots of questions and then you can always bring them back here for explanations if you need it.
Good luck

Linda

Micro weft is a great fitting though is not taped in but fitted using micro-rings, as the name suggests.
Linda

I am refering to Micro Weft by Racoon which is a great fitting for people with fine hair.
This system is named Micro Weft due to the extremely light and small pieces of weft.They have been designed by a Trichologist and are suitable for very fine hair without creating any damage.
Micro Weft By Racoon is indeed Taped in and Racoon does not use any micro rings.

Thanks for all your comments ladies. From your replies i'm getting that I don't know enough about the types of extensions I am being offered so as suggested I will go for consultations and ask lots of questions. I checked the e-mail recieved from one of the ladies and she definetly said "micro-weave". I will ask her for some more information.

Thanks again Ladies
Trace x

Dont be pushed into anything , have a few consultations with differnent salons or freelancers till you find one you feel happy with.
Please ensure that who ever you get is a fully qualified hairdresser and is ensured.
A good old post to help you posted by Bev Rose What to look for when choosing a hair extensionist?
Just put this information into the advanced search for hair geek and Voila!!!

Good luck x

Latest posts

Back