Fainted during Indian head massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lianect

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm in need of your advice please. I've been doing IHM for a year now, and tonight had my first 'negative' experience. I was performing a relaxing treatment, all was going well until I was doing the facial massage when my client asked me to stop. She felt a sense of nausea, lost all colour, and felt clammy! I immediately got her a glass of water, ensured she took deep breathes and fresh air. She felt ok after a minute or too, and very embarrassed. I assured her not to be abd just wanted her to be ok! I said I would try look into why this happened. My client had no contra-indications, or any other known medical conditions, and is in her mid 50s. She also confirmed that she hadn't eaten. I feel so embarrassed, especially as it's my boyfriends mum!!! :(( any suggestions would be greatly received!! Thank you. Liane x

Don't worry! Had the person recently had a cold or anything? It sounds too me simply a response to treatment - ie the healing crisis. How long into treatment did it happen ans how did she feel after x

Hello! Thanks for your reply! She had a little cold over Christmas, but nothing serious! It happened fairly near to the end, after approx 30mins.... I'm worried from reading other stuff online about massaging the occipital area and causing nausea.....

Hello! Thanks for your reply! She had a little cold over Christmas, but nothing serious! It happened fairly near to the end, after approx 30mins.... I'm worried from reading other stuff online about massaging the occipital area and causing nausea.....

Yes, the neck and occipital are can cause this. I suspect the fact she hadn't eaten may have contributed and she may have low blood pressure which can cause this. Unlike lying on a bed, the lowering of blood pressure during a massage while the the client is sitting up the effects of gravity cause the blood to drain away from the brain adding to the lightheadedness and possibly fainting.

It's nothing to worry about. If it happens again, get the client to lie down and raise their feet. I've had it happen to me when having a chair massage (even though i've had hundreds when it's been fine). Although, chair massage is a lot more powerful than IHM the effects are the same.

She may have been particularly tense and the combination of not eating and low blood pressure had this effect. Tell her it is nothing to worry about, but make sure if she comes back that she needs to make sure she's eaten and if she is feeling particularly tense, recommend she has a back/neck/shoulder on the couch.

Thanks again for your advice! X

Yep, this happened to a client of mine, scared me half to death, to be on the safe side we called a paramedic, who confirmed her blood pressure was low, she later admitted she hadn't eaten since the day before either. So low blood sugar caused by not eating and low blood pressure = bad reaction. The paramedic said I'd done my job too well and relaxed her too much. Lol. Don't let it put you off, just ask clients to have a light meal or snack before their appointment x

Latest posts

Back