Fake shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

em79

Reaction score
Evening all,

Recently I have had new customers coming in for shellac manicure but when they have turned up they already have shellac on from somewhere else which is not a problem we just soak it off, but I've had a lot coming in and when we've tried to remove the shellac it dont budge at all we even try acetone and still nothing, had someone in tonight and it took nearly an hour to get off.

What is this stuff ???

Anyone else had this ? Can you advise?

There are lots of fake shellac products and also other gel polishes that are harder to remove. I don't remove products applied at another salon, I am busy enough to be able to say I am unable to do it. It took me an hour to remove it once and never again! Try charging by time to remove other technicians products in future :lol:

It is unadvisable to turn away a potential new loyal client because we can't be bothered to take thier questionable gel product off. You learn to distinguish Shellac from gel polishes quickly just by loooking at the thickness, the length etc... Shellac is very thin in comparison to gel polish and the regrowth shouldn't be crazy long. ..
If you turn away a client you lose business and she will possibly attempt to remove by herself, damage her nails and then badmouth the product, Shellac! Not the brand that she removed.
If you have no time that day, just remove it and reschedule for Shellac application. Work around your schedule if possible.
File to break the seal, wrap and leave her while you tend to others. There are many ways to get the job done and gain a new client.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

If they have another product on I always ask where they got it done & if I think it's dodgy I see if they can get it removed where they got it done.

Sometimes they're really adamant it's shellac even if I research the place and see they don't actually use shellac!

If I have to remove it, I just make them aware that as I haven't applied the product it might take longer to remove and there could be an extra charge

This is a difficult one. I use cuccio veneer which unless done right can be a pain to remove so ok for me! Shellac is easier tho. I had a lady in who said she was wearing shellac. I wrapped her nails to soak it off and she had shellac over acrylic! Not ideal. When I told her It would now take take the full treatment time to remove and she would have to re book to reapply she went nuts!! I now prewarn clients that if it appeared they are not wearing what they said they were they would be subject to an increased fee or the need to rebook after removal . It's always hard but I agree with other lady. Don't turn them away.

It is unadvisable to turn away a potential new loyal client because we can't be bothered to take thier questionable gel product off. You learn to distinguish Shellac from gel polishes quickly just by loooking at the thickness, the length etc... Shellac is very thin in comparison to gel polish and the regrowth shouldn't be crazy long. ..
If you turn away a client you lose business and she will possibly attempt to remove by herself, damage her nails and then badmouth the product, Shellac! Not the brand that she removed.
If you have no time that day, just remove it and reschedule for Shellac application. Work around your schedule if possible.
File to break the seal, wrap and leave her while you tend to others. There are many ways to get the job done and gain a new client.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Luckily for me I'm too busy to spend an hour removing another techs product! Especially if it takes an hour, but I agree if you have the time then it is a great way of educating the client on your system.

I had a client who has opi gelcolor from me, she went to America and had her nails done with 'shellac' I could not get it off. An hour later it was removed but I couldn't reapply. She had a wedding the next day but I had no more time :-(. Next time she went to America she had CND shellac and that was fine but not knowing what the product is makes removal and timings hard to judge when you are so busy!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back