Fake Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettynpolished17

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm hoping to start up Shellac as part of my business.

Today I took a (foolish, I know) risk and bought several bottles second-hand, and they all vary in their appearance. I contacted the seller who insisted they purchased them front SweetSquared, that they were genuine and provided somewhat proof of purchase. However I am still dubious.

They have said that over the years CND have altered the bottle style and so this is why they look different. There is also a few among this collection that smell a bit funky, and so furthers my post that they are counterfeit.

I have uploaded pictures and grouped the bottles where they appear similar. If anyone can spot any obvious counterfeits I would very much appreciate it!☺

P.S I have indeed learnt my lesson to buy them straight from S2!

IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2655.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG
IMG_2650.JPG

One of the ways to tell immediately is that the ones that have a printed code on the bottom in black or white are genuine. Printed, not 3D
For example Lilac Longing is original but Tango Passion isn't.
I'm sure you can figure out the rest

Another thing is that in the old bottles the genuine would be white or black at the bottom with a fine film of the colour covering the edge. No bumps or any 3D marks
Fakes would be colored bottom with a 3D number mark OR white bottom with colored edge but the edge is larger than originals and it has bumps all around

Last edited:
Burnt Romance maybe
Blue Rapture maybe. I can see a hint of a code there but I'm not sure
Iced Cappuccino
Strawberry Smothie
Powder my nose maybe, can't see clearly
Beau
Cocoa
Asphalt
Tango Passion

At least those are fakes. I don't know about Ice Vapor and Butterfly queen as I haven't checked the differencies in the new packages. They look original though

Last edited:
Beau, Cocoa and asphalt look like really really old bottles, when the actual bottle was the Colour vs the bottles with the thin coloured film, also those old bottles had the code etched on the back and not underneath.

Oh I just saw Cocoa has a code so that one is probably original

The bottles have changed a few times over last 7 years so not sure how you will possibly tell.

If anything is more than 2 years old I wouldn't use it anyway- fake or not.

You wouldn't be able t tell just by looking at the bottles. You also can't tell if they're out of date, or the bottle content is the original or if it's been filled with something else I'm afraid.

Best advice would be to fling the lot, (or keep for your own use?) and buy new from an authorised distributor. If this is your new business you can't afford to risk people having bad experiences with possibly sub standard stock. All those potential repeat clients would be lost and your reputation tarnished and that's tough to recover from. (Sorry [emoji37]) xx

Also worth considering... how would you stand with your insurers should anything go wrong.. [emoji19]

Latest posts

Back