Feeling a bit harassed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.

I have worked in a therapy room (only 8 hours per week) for the past 5 years, on a commission basis. Anyway, I'm leaving this place because I have far too much going on at the moment and it isn't working anymore. Basically, my mum was diagnosed with cancer so I'm doing everything I possibly can to help her through, from taking her to hospital, doing the shopping, helping her with stuff and keeping her company. She has started chemotherapy and emotionally and physically really needs us around. Hence me deciding to focus on her and leave the therapy room, and arrange my freelance clients accordingly so I have control over everything.

In my contract I have to give a months notice. However they said I could finish before that because they have replaced me with someone else, I just had to do a couple more shifts. Which I was ok with. Moving on, things at home started to get really stressful. Not only with my mum, but my own mental and physical wellbeing. I have watched my dad die of cancer, and looking back I really didn't look after myself at all during that time, I lost a couple of stones with the stress and generally felt and looked unwell, and I now know the warning signs of when im about to "run out of charge" and become ill with the stress. So yeah, I started to notice the first signs, not sleeping, headaches, depression, panic attacks etc. So I explained this to the clinic and asked if I could finish up because I was starting to feel really rubbish. To which they said no. So I left it a few days, and then, as predicted, I started to feel really unwell, physically exhausted, swollen glands, bunged up, fever, ulcers all over my mouth. So I emailed them and told them I can't come in, I'm unwell and not in a position where I can treat clients. (When I say clients, there are two people booked in). I then took it upon myself to contact other therapists and try to get them to cover, with no avail.

Then today, I've had another email and also a voicemail telling me "you need to come in and do these clients". No mention of "sorry to hear that" or "is there any way you could make it", basically a complete disregard for my health. They know exactly what's going on in my life, I've even given them over 10days notice to cancel/rearrange the 2 clients, I've told them twice that I'm unwell, physically and emotionally but they refuse to acknowledge it, saying they will "lose business"

I replied saying (for the third time now) I am ill, I'm unable to come in. I'm exhausted, I'm run down, I'm worried sick about my mum and on top of it I can't even spend time with her until I feel better. I am dreading tomorrow and having to deal with another phone call or email demanding me to go in. I've had to cancel my freelance clients because I'm sick, it's not like I just don't want to go back there. I'm fed up with it all.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this situation?

Thanks geeks

I feel

I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through.

Does the therapy room owe you money? If not, I would write them a letter (not a text, email or phone call but an old fashioned letter with your signature) explaining that you very sorry but are unwell and that you unfortunatly cannot return to complete your shifts.

If they do owe you money, I'm not sure where you stand. I'm sorry I've not been much help. Please try not to stress too much about the therapy room, its their problem, not yours. They're running the business, so let them deal with arranging cover for you. What would they have done if you'd ended up in hospital with 2 broken legs? Expect you to come in?

Concentrate on your health and your mum.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through.

Does the therapy room owe you money? If not, I would write them a letter (not a text, email or phone call but an old fashioned letter with your signature) explaining that you very sorry but are unwell and that you unfortunatly cannot return to complete your shifts.

If they do owe you money, I'm not sure where you stand. I'm sorry I've not been much help. Please try not to stress too much about the therapy room, its their problem, not yours. They're running the business, so let them deal with arranging cover for you. What would they have done if you'd ended up in hospital with 2 broken legs? Expect you to come in?

Concentrate on your health and your mum.

Thank you for taking time to reply to me. They don't owe me any money at all. I called in sick last week when I started to feel really ill, and (a different) receptionist had no problem cancelling clients and she was really nice and sympathetic about it. And since then I've started to feel a lot worse, and it's like you say, what would they do if I had broken a bone?! They would still have to cancel the clients, it's the same thing. But for some reason mental health doesn't account for anything in addition to feeling physically unwell. I just thought after working there for so many years they would at least show a little compassion. But no, nothing, zilch!

I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. I may not be of much help but I just wanted to say (in the politest possible way) screw them! You owe them nothing, you are entitled to time off sick for the flu, let alone the terrible stress you are suffering at the moment. As hard as it is, please try not to let them bother you. You don't deserve to be treated like this and the self centred fools who say you HAVE to treat their clients will just have to accept it! :(

Take care xx

You are really having a tough time! It's good that you are recognising just how poorly you are. Usually, we realise too late and then much more damage is done.

Have you considered going to the doctors? I know that there are some things that they can give you to help you, even if it is a tonic just to keep up your strength. But also, and more importantly, to sign you off sick (or at least acknowledge that you are too poorly to work. It might come in useful if they want to take any action against you.

Latest posts

Back