Feeling very down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy chick

Reaction score
Iv never been one to be low but since Xmas Iv been struggling to get motivated with work.
I work from a home salon, I have a full diary most weeks, and have been a beauty therapist for nearly 12 years.
Iv always loved what I do, and Iv worked damn hard to get to a stage where I do very well financially but I feel there's something missing recently and I don't know what.
All I keep thinking is, I can't keep this workload up forever, I'm exhausted. I work 5 days a week from 9 til 7pm and don't take breaks. If I take breaks then I can't fit all my clients into my week.
Iv been diagnosed with anaemia in the past 3 weeks and am taking iron supplements. I know this will make me tired but I'm still lacking motivation.
I did my PTTLS 3 years ago with a view of teaching but don't have the time to write my lesson plans never mind to teach. But how do I cut back on my work load?
I know done of you will say I'm lucky to be so busy, and yes I am, but when your whole day is about work then there's a work/life balance error but how can I cut back?
I'm putting up my prices from April 1st to see if this helps but so far every client Iv told says they will be happy to pay more.
I do acrylics, Gelish, lash extensions and brows and this fills my day. But still feel like something's missing :-(

Can someone please give me a slap to shake me out of this lull please!

Your advice please?

Much love xx

not sure if it would work in your home but have you ever considered getting someone to cover you for a couple days or even do half days x

Yes Iv thought of getting help but my room is too small to accommodate another therapist and I think my clients would still want me to do their treatment :-( x

Have you ever thought of having a break? When you have your salon at home you're always at work. You should get away even for a weekend, I feel like I get cabin fever if I do more at home rather than mobile.

Maybe you could take your things with you and rediscover what you initially loved about your job.

At the end of the day, money's only money. Your happiness should come first. I hope you feel better xox

Have you thought about mentoring? With All of your experience and your desire to teach, maybe there is a young lady entering the field that would love to learn your knowledge and shadow you. Could you do a charity event? Sometimes giving back is the best way to rejuvenate.

I got to a silly stage last year. I made a massive decision to cut an extra day out of my working week. I now work Wednesday to Saturday. I work from 10am to 8pm each of those days solid with no breaks (OK 10 minute fag breaks between clients!). However, the fact that I now have three days off a week makes so much difference to me. My working week flies by and its great having almost as many days off.

In the end you have to get your work life balance right, it will make you ill and unhappy otherwise. Yes I lost a few clients, but I am so much happier now.

Chin up hun, you can't do everything, you have to consider yourself first right now xx

I was in exactly your position...until November when I made the decision to cut my hours. Once I physically typed my hours onto my website and sent all my clients an e-mail, I've stuck to my guns and feel a whole lot better! My regular clients all book 2 treatments in advance, I am fully booked 3 Saturdays in advance, have to turn down clients sometimes, but I have an extra day all to myself!....and I treat myself to a Massage or something nice!
Happy Me makes a happy home and ultimately it rubs off on your clients! :)

Thanks ladies. I'm thinking I'm just needing a week off. I can't rota one til end of April but I'm sure I'll be ok after then.
It doesn't help that my bloods aren't right and I'm exhausted all the time.

Thanks for all your kind words of support xx

First and foremost we need to look after our health, because if you wear yourself ragged and you get to the point youre so exhausted, you wont be able to work any days, let alone cut down days and clients will notice you're not your vibrant self.
It's fantastic and should be commended that youve built up such a successful business but it sounds like you need to recharge. By the sounds of it too your clients are very loyal because you do great work, so if like one of the other techs suggested you set your hours/days and stick to them, your clients wont book just 2 treatments in advance, they'll book more because they won't want to miss out with you as their beauty therapist. And for the ones that dont book well in advance and do miss out because your books are full, at least the clients you retain will be even more loyal than before. At the risk of sounding cliche, "quality, not quantity".
Sometimes it's easier said than done but health and well being comes before anything else because if you're not well, your business wont be able to function because you're not.
Sincerely, all the best with it all :)

Latest posts

Back