File control!! Part 1

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teena_B said:
How much pressure do you use when blending/filing? I've heard conflicting advice, one says pressing lightly is more effective, one says press harder. Personally I'm firm but not cruel. I think you'd damage the nail if you press too hard, must at least make them sore.

Also, Geeg, what do you think of the method of holding a file where you put your first & middle finger at each side at one end, then put your thumb on top at the other end?
I think firm but not cruel is a good description of the right sort of pressure one should apply.

There are good reasons for not filing too lightly when blending or removing product when you are doing the 'bulk' of the work. I have mentioned them in the original post .. look again.

Obviously as you get through the bulk of what you are doing and nearer to the natural nail, you lighten up and switch to the smoother side of the abrasive.

As to the technique you mention, it is another way. There are many ways of doing anything. What I have passed on is my way that works for me and doesn't destroy my files and gives me freedom of movement. I have simply passed it on to you. Because I do it, does not make it the only way to do it!! But if I do it ... I do it because it works efficiently and saves me from having to file for too long :biggrin:

ValencianNails said:
I was taught to hold the file with my thumb on top of the file (at the end) and never the first finger otherwise it applies too much pressure, this is when blending as well as rebalancing.
is this not the correct way then or do different systems vary?

I don't mean to sound daft, just curious.
There are very good reasons for not holding the abrasive in the way you describe and if you read my original post, they are listed there. ( Kinks the file, traps air between the file and the product which produces heat, is not efficient for doing the particular job of tip blending or removing product that we are talking about here. For other things it is fine to hold it that way.
Nothing to do with the system you are using ... this is technique.

Aspirations said:
Also, does it really matter if you blend a bit too much? i dont mean through to the nail plate, but a couple of times my tips went really thin. As you said that they are just scaffolding, i wondered if this was a problem or if i could just proceed with whatever system is overlaying them?
Proceed!:)

See File Control Part 2

Okay where does the thumb go in this position of holding the file? I got the index part and shaking hands thing but don't know where to position the thumb. Please help.

Place your thumb where it is the most comfortable for you to work.

I With my fingers on the top of the abrasive, I tend to place the side of the ball of my thumb against the underside.

Remember it will feel weird at first. Persevere and you will wonder how you ever got along without using this grip.

Hello

How do you deal with blending a tip when it doesn't want to blend in the middle of the nail if you know what I mean. One client of mine has quite an arch to her nails and on one or two of her nails the tips wont blend as well as the other nails, I suppose the nail dips a little in the middle.

Regards
Deb379

Sounds like air trapped under the contact area.

Use an adhesive that fills gaps ... GelBond from Creative does this and ensures perfect adhesion on uneven surfaces like bitten nails or ridged nails or high C curve where it will fill in at the sides. GelBond was formulated just for this.

Hi Gigi

Yes I use gelbond all the time, I'm sure I use enough because it seeps out when the tip has been placed. It doesn't happen on all the nails though.

Deb379

Latest posts

Back