Filing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicky

Southern Geek
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain guys but im having trouble with my re-balancing. When it comes to filing the acrylic down i find it really hard to get it thin, im not sure if its because i had a bad experience a few years ago when having my own nails done. The tech took half my natural nail off when doing infills and i think i worry myself that im going to do the same...! So how do i overcome this problem...its doing my head in...!! :evil: Even when there's slight lifting im worried when i file behind the line that im gonna hurt my client....Help..!!!!!

Vicky xx

The fact that you realise it is a potential problem is half tha battle. Experiance goes a long way to getting confident , however if you are filing behind the line you shouldn't have a problem. I find that holding the file flat to the nail rather than at an angle also reduces the risk of creating ridges and over filing into the nail. Just check and recheck as you file to see how thin you are filing your product, until you become confident.
vicky said:
Sorry to be a pain guys but im having trouble with my re-balancing. When it comes to filing the acrylic down i find it really hard to get it thin, im not sure if its because i had a bad experience a few years ago when having my own nails done. The tech took half my natural nail off when doing infills and i think i worry myself that im going to do the same...! So how do i overcome this problem...its doing my head in...!! :evil: Even when there's slight lifting im worried when i file behind the line that im gonna hurt my client....Help..!!!!!

Vicky xx

I understand your fears sweetie, years ago when I first started, I filed a poor woman to death!! I was trying to blend the tips in flush with the nail, and I must have been using a 80 or 100 grit (yikes!!), filed so hard and fast that I was burning her!! (ouch!!). Before long, we were down to practically nothing and she had painful red marks on her nails. I don't know what was wrong with me. I started out pretty heavy handed. I used to cut off people's circulation while polishing, because I squeezed their poor fingers to death!! Well thankfully one day my cousin cursed me out while I was working on her, told me I had a "death grip" on her finger, and from that day on, I have never hurt anyone!! Just be careful that you're using the proper grit (not too coarse), and that you use a steady, firm (but not heavy) touch, and like Sarah said, hold the file FLAT, not on an angle.

Thanks girls....I know what i should be doing but its like i have a mental block when it comes to Filing...Because of how fearful i am i tend to always use a 240 grit so when im trying to re-balance can make it take alot longer then it really should..!

Thanks again xx

I was like you too , when I started out I worked in a nail salon. At first I was doing practice sets and one lady came back SIX WEEKS later for her first infills. My initial reaction was intense pride cos they were all still on. However, silly cow thought she was so clever cos she'd been buffing and blending them in at home, so she didn't have to come back regularly and pay. Well she had filed her nails so thin that one swipe of my file and I was through her nail plate and it was bleeding. I tell you I have never been so scared in my life, thought she was going to sue and everything until she piped up and said , oh that's my fault I've filed it too much and already filed through my nail plate. I always like to think I'm a careful filer - NEVER make people burn, and rarely cut peoples' skin, but this really shook me and took me years to get over. Another nail tech in the salon used to take the mickey out of me cos I was so careful and SLOW with my filing, but that was the reason why. Just use the right file for the job - of you use a 240 grit al the time it actually means you have to file so much more and so prob run more risk of a friction burn etc. I was taught "let the file do the work" - you should hold it so gently thatsomeone can take it out of your hand as you work. Honestly hun, I know what you are going through, but your confidence will come with experience. What system do you use? Why not go back to your supplier and ask for a course that is for rebalances and get them to help you oevercome your fears - the outlay will more than pay for itself when you find your time speeding up and so you can do more clients. Good luck.
vicky said:
Thanks girls....I know what i should be doing but its like i have a mental block when it comes to Filing...Because of how fearful i am i tend to always use a 240 grit so when im trying to re-balance can make it take alot longer then it really should..!

Thanks again xx

Hi

I think this is why my own nail beds have been tender, doing myself I've been a lot harder with the file, I'm also going to try avoid blending tips on nails as well, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Like you I'm always concerned about it, it's recommended you use 180 on old acrylic, 120 on new, and 240 when getting nearer the natural nail or cuticles. Don't file it down too much it's only to get rid of lifting or buff away grown out shape. Just go gently and don't stay in one spot, move onto other nails and go back and check on any you think are not 100%, this gives the nail a break
Plus it's worth trying to get the acrylic on thinner to avoid having to file so much.

Deb379

I'm gonna book myself onto a masters re-balancing and see how that goes. I only did the conversion in july but i love creative its just my filing letting me down. Thanks for the vote of confidence girls..its nice to know im not alone..!

Vicky xx

PS iv got 2 re-balance's in tonight....wish me luck..!

Latest posts

Back