Finding a job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombats

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this. I chose this one because this post is about hairdressing.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a job in a salon, and I'm having absolutely no luck. I went to college in the USA, and got my licence to practice Cosmetology there. When I came back to England, I had UK NARIC evaluate my US qualifications and they came back as equivalent to NVQ Level 3. I don't have any salon experience.

I've been applying to everywhere that's advertising, but I've heard nothing back from anyone. Do you think it looks funny that an NVQ L3 stylist with no experience is applying? :/ Every advertisement specifies that they want experience, and that's fair enough...I know a lot of salons train their own stylists from the ground up. It doesn't really work like that in the USA. It was difficult to get salon experience while I was at college in the USA. Salons were only allowed to employ unlicensed people to do shampooing, and nowhere in the area I was living was after people like that for like only three hours a day. :\

Does anyone have any tips on what I could do to find something? I'm willing to do assistant work and shampooing, but is a salon really going to employ someone with L3 to do that when there are so many apprentices? Is it a good idea to just walk into salons and ask about a position?

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this. I chose this one because this post is about hairdressing.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a job in a salon, and I'm having absolutely no luck. I went to college in the USA, and got my licence to practice Cosmetology there. When I came back to England, I had UK NARIC evaluate my US qualifications and they came back as equivalent to NVQ Level 3. I don't have any salon experience.

I've been applying to everywhere that's advertising, but I've heard nothing back from anyone. Do you think it looks funny that an NVQ L3 stylist with no experience is applying? :/ Every advertisement specifies that they want experience, and that's fair enough...I know a lot of salons train their own stylists from the ground up. It doesn't really work like that in the USA. It was difficult to get salon experience while I was at college in the USA. Salons were only allowed to employ unlicensed people to do shampooing, and nowhere in the area I was living was after people like that for like only three hours a day. :\

Does anyone have any tips on what I could do to find something? I'm willing to do assistant work and shampooing, but is a salon really going to employ someone with L3 to do that when there are so many apprentices? Is it a good idea to just walk into salons and ask about a position?

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

hey, i know exactly how you feel! ive been looking since i qualified in june but all want atleast 3 yrs experience i dont have that either and the ones that said ide get the job turned out to be dodgey so left it :( also i think the exact same why would a salon employ someone to do the stuff their apprentice is doing :( its so difficult, i just thought ide post so you know theres others out there in this cr** position xx

I'm sorry you're having the same trouble. :( It's so disheartening and depressing. We spent all that time training and becoming qualified, and it seems like it was for nothing. I wish you the best of luck in finding a job.

I often think about trying mobile hairdressing, but I don't know if I'm experienced enough. What if I get a client who wants a colour that I'm not sure how to create? Or wants a haircut I can't figure out? :/ Plus I have a back problem, so all the carrying of equipment, bending over baths to shampoo hair and rinse out colours, and straining my back doing hair in all different types of non-adjustable chairs would just about kill me.

I'm sorry you're having the same trouble. :( It's so disheartening and depressing. We spent all that time training and becoming qualified, and it seems like it was for nothing. I wish you the best of luck in finding a job.

I often think about trying mobile hairdressing, but I don't know if I'm experienced enough. What if I get a client who wants a colour that I'm not sure how to create? Or wants a haircut I can't figure out? :/ Plus I have a back problem, so all the carrying of equipment, bending over baths to shampoo hair and rinse out colours, and straining my back doing hair in all different types of non-adjustable chairs would just about kill me.

yeah i wish you luck in finding one too :) i thought exactly the same aswell posted a thread about it most people said it would be best to gain salon experience first but its just not happening at the moment, im sure things will look up soon (well i hope haha)

yeah i wish you luck in finding one too :) i thought exactly the same aswell posted a thread about it most people said it would be best to gain salon experience first but its just not happening at the moment, im sure things will look up soon (well i hope haha)

im in the exact same boat ladies!! make sure your CVs are amazing and tell them how much you love their salon....also apply for loaads if salons, regardless if they have advertised or not, just email your CV to any salon and tell them in your email what a great fan you are of the salon etc.

Good luck!!

x

I would make your self look really smart, and go round to a few salons in person. Take some CVs with you and go in and ask them if they have any jobs going, explain that your qualified but would like to train with the salon from scratch. Then when you do get a salon position you can work your way up super quick as they will see you know what your doing. Just go for it' go round every good salon and try leave your details. Good luck x

Sorry for bringing up an old post. I thought it better than starting a new one.

I still haven't found a job. :/ It's really getting me down. I've applied to countless salons, and I haven't heard back from any of them. I did a few days of assistant work at a local salon, but it was only temporary and they couldn't take me on full-time, even if they wanted to.

I'm half-thinking about going freelance, but I'm inexperienced, and the thought terrifies me.

I'm running out of money, and I don't know what to do. ):

Have you got a portfolio?

From college, yes.

Use it, add to it,

Few models, (students always like a freebie)

make up artist - allow her to use pics too (again could be one just qualified in same boat as you)

Photographer (try trainee at college)

All you will need to pay for is products for hair and portfolio is updated for free

We can all write a cv and bum ourselves up, but actually show them what you can do,

Rather then dropping your cv in. Go in, shake the owners hand and introduce yourself. Hand them your cv with a brilliant covering letter asking for the chance of an opportunity to be interviewed and have a trade test.
If the owner is free when you go in explain in person.
I think that the fact your American makes you interesting ;)

You could always offer to work for free , that's what I did while I was completing my qualification - I worked in an office during the day when I wasn't at college and then just did 3 hours when I'd finished work at my local salon on their late nights for free , technically because their not paying you to be there they have no reason to say no. Also a lot of people understand how hard it is to get into industry so will more than likely say yes.
Once I'd qualified I found a small salon in a housing estate and worked there to start with - said that I would do all the junior duties even though i was fully qualified and take any over flow customers and i got paid hardly anything but it was completely worth it .
Don't be disheartened , just keep trying x

You could always offer to work for free , that's what I did while I was completing my qualification - I worked in an office during the day when I wasn't at college and then just did 3 hours when I'd finished work at my local salon on their late nights for free , technically because their not paying you to be there they have no reason to say no. Also a lot of people understand how hard it is to get into industry so will more than likely say yes.
Once I'd qualified I found a small salon in a housing estate and worked there to start with - said that I would do all the junior duties even though i was fully qualified and take any over flow customers and i got paid hardly anything but it was completely worth it .
Don't be disheartened , just keep trying x

Great advice

I was going to suggest the same thing , go work for free, as unforts most salons will want experience and without experience salons wont take you . Its a vicious cycle , all depending on your age you could always ask to start at the bottom with them , i know this is disheartening but once you get your foot in the door you can show them what your made of ;-). But again this all depends on your age . As they have to pay you minimum wage after a certain age , so alot of employers are reluctant to take you on because of this . But like i say if you offer to do for free , and take a portfolio you will win brownie points for that . Hth , sorry if it sounds doom and gloom ,But something positive will come out of it , if you want it enough :)))) xx

Thanks for the advice.

I wish I could -afford- to work for free, but right now my only income is from JSA, and I believe that they still take money from it even if you do unpaid work. -_-

I found out about a job in a salon yesterday, and emailed them as they asked on their website. I got a reply within half an hour asking me to send my CV, which I did. I then got a reply saying the position had been filled...though they have not removed the advertisement from their website. I should have gone there in person, but it's not overly close to me.

I am going to a salon on Monday who need stylists, armed with my CV and portfolio. I plan to update my portfolio tomorrow. Do you think a portfolio should have before AND after shots, or just photos of the actual finished work?

It's so, so, frustrating. People from my college in North Carolina have found stylist jobs within a WEEK of finishing college. I think salons there are much more understanding and willing to take on new stylists because everyone HAS to go to college and HAS to take the licensure exams.

Sorry for the rant. :\

I have an interview on Friday. :)

best of luck sweetie xxx

If you are on JSA and working voluntary they don't deduct any of your benefit money. I ended up having to claim JSA about a year ago, it was driving me nuts not working so offered to work for free while getting my JSA and 2 wks later the salon owner created a position for me because she could see was a good worker and told me she was worried I might go elsewhere. Xxx
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back