First appointment and first complaint!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indigo1

Reaction score
Well after my first client last Tuesday, she called me today to say a nail had broken and one snapped off at the tip. I went there and repaired them and also built them all up as I'm sure it was because I do them too thin. One good thing was they looked really nice and obviously the job I did last week wasn't as bad as I thought, apart from doing them too thin. I still feel a bit worried they are thin I think I over file as I'm worried they are going to be bumpy.

The lady also has a horse that she cleans out etc she was telling me that she gets all straw stuck under her nails, I did tell her last time to wear gloves but I don't think she does. She was saying when she gets the straw outof bags she has to really pull it as it's in to tight and it scratches her hands, but it got me wondering should she do that with her nails?

My mum couldn't believe I didn't charge her anything but surely it was my fault. What do you think?

Faye

I deal with a lot of horsey clients and they are the worse for busting their nails.
They are so heavy handed and don't realise it.
Personaly I would have charged for the repair as more likely than not it was her fault not yours.
If she's not wearing gloves, it means she's not applying the aftercare advice you have provided.
Unfortuatly we can't 'hold our clients hands' after they leave the salon but they in turn can not expect us to do repairs for free either if they ignore us.
:hug:

Is this the first time she has worn them? I have a horse and i used to get mine done when i was in the salon but i'd need a new set every week :eek: My boss was very good and we used to just have them without paying for it but i didnt think it was fair when i was destroying them each week. I am heavy-handed tho so might just be me.:lol:

She said she has been wearing them for nine years and never had one break!!! I gave her aftercare advice and a leaflet last week, and told her she should wear gloves etc. She said she always wears gloves but she slipped up today so I don't think she always does. I felt bad when she was saying she never had one break before that's why I didn't charge. I'm desparete not to lose my only client!! Doesn't look good I suppose when I go running there for nothing!!

I seriously doubt, that in 9 years of wearing enhancements she hasn't had a single break, unless she's wearing the dreaded MMA :lol:, and even then she's more likey to have ripped the plate off the bed, because no matter what they say horsey ppl are heavy handed, they can't help it.
:hug:

Heya, just a thaught how do YOU know she has never broken one before? She could have been lying to you to get a new set? You will find that people lie all the time about oiling, picking and general breaking. I wouldnt read too much into it becuase nails are not indestructible, they break sometimes and its no ones fault just an accident.xxxxx:hug:

I think she is probably telling alittle white lie about no breaks in that time. I'd just say that that the visit was free but from next time there will be a charge. I know when in salon that clients would say to nail girls "oh they just fell off!" and it turned out that they'd used their nails to open cans of coke or just bit them off if they thought they were lifting..never believe them :green:

Hi indigo last tuesday? that means they've been on over a week??? how bio sculpture taught us they said if they were to come off within the first 3 days its usually down to the technician and there application but if any longer its usually something the client is doing wrong hope this helps x

I can see where you are coming from being new and thinking it was your fault ive been there too but...... You have now repaired them for free and the client will now think oh shes done it once she will do it again!! I know this as i made the same mistake i did a repair for free thinking i was at fault then when the client came to the next repair and i told her there would be a charge she didnt want them done!!.

Its tough but you have to start as you mean to go on hun ALL REPAIRS ARE TO BE PAID FOR. :hug::hug:

hi
i advise the client of the aftercare and say quite clearly that any probs in first 48 hours then i will call and repair free if its my fault otherwise i charge so much for each repair/replacemnt!! nobody has had a problem (touch wood) so far!!

everybody wants summat for nothing - keep strong xxx

hi
i advise the client of the aftercare and say quite clearly that any probs in first 48 hours then i will call and repair free if its my fault otherwise i charge so much for each repair/replacemnt!! nobody has had a problem (touch wood) so far!!

everybody wants summat for nothing - keep strong xxx

i think this is a very good idea,stating on the aftercare sheet that after 48 hours repairs will be charged,i will be putting that in my aftercare sheets once i get going, xxxx

i am pretty sure she is lying. if the nail breaks, it is not your fault mainly, because she obviously was not careful enough. and if she does not wear her gloves, i do not believe that she has never had a broken nail before. she probably lied to you to get a new set out of you.
personally i would have charged her.
or maybe she had her enhancements do e with the products that contain mma, which is terrible. when the nail breaks, it brekas with your own nail and rips some of it off. very painfull. last time i did that my nails were recovering for 6 months, that is why i decided to become a nail tech myself.
you are lucky if it breaks and does not rip a bit of your nail along with it.
i think she definitely ied to you.
i would not worry lsing a client like that - because if you repaired her nails for free, that is all she needs - next time before infills she might breka some, to get a free new set.
and if she did nto follow your aftercare advice, you should not be held responsible for her ignoring it.

and also you have to look after your enhancements like you do with your own natural nails. because if you hit or catch something too hard, your natural nail can split or break and so can the artificial nail.
there are some really good ideas in replies. like give your clients a warranty of the first 24-48 hours and if anything happens after that they just have to pay for the repairs.
it is like buying a washing machine - they give you let's say 2 years warranty. if anything breaks after the warranty runs out, you get charged for the repairs. the same in this and other businesses.
if you do your own nails, then you should be able to tell the difference between the truth and a lie.

Well after my first client last Tuesday, she called me today to say a nail had broken and one snapped off at the tip. I went there and repaired them and also built them all up as I'm sure it was because I do them too thin. One good thing was they looked really nice and obviously the job I did last week wasn't as bad as I thought, apart from doing them too thin. I still feel a bit worried they are thin I think I over file as I'm worried they are going to be bumpy.

The lady also has a horse that she cleans out etc she was telling me that she gets all straw stuck under her nails, I did tell her last time to wear gloves but I don't think she does. She was saying when she gets the straw outof bags she has to really pull it as it's in to tight and it scratches her hands, but it got me wondering should she do that with her nails?

My mum couldn't believe I didn't charge her anything but surely it was my fault. What do you think?

Faye
How long were her enhancements?

Her having a horse to look after plus your application more than likely being too thin equals a recipe for breakages in all honesty.

You need to make sure that they're not too long and that the apex is in the right place, as well as being correctly 'built'.

IMO, as soon as the client leaves the salon, or you leave their home, they're responsible for their own enhancements.
The general consensus from a lot of clients seems to be that their enhanced nails are indestructible... big mistake on their part... educate them re looking after their enhancements, don't let them make you feel guilty and charge them for repairs, especially as you're mobile! :hug:

Latest posts

Back