First website

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJP

Reaction score
Hey All

I'm looking to set up my first website. Need to keep costs down so was looking at either using WordPress or Wix.

Do any of you have experience with either of these and if you do then can I please get some feedback and take a look at your website?

Or would any of you recommend using something else altogether?

TIA!! xx

I've just done a website with 1&1 and it was 99p for the domain and £1 something a month.. I thought that was a really good deal.

If you are looking to do something yourself Wix will be your best bet. Wordpress is better however you need to arrange hosting and it's more complex if you don't know what you're doing.

Wix is ok to get you going and off the ground but it has some limitations you might find at a later date and also I tend to see all Wix sites look the same/very similar - for now though, will do the job :)

I used weebly for my first website and I liked it a lot but I am now working on another website and have decided to try wix. I must say, wix is by far the best site builder I have ever used. There is so much to it and so many different options to choose from, I love it.

If you are looking to do something yourself Wix will be your best bet. Wordpress is better however you need to arrange hosting and it's more complex if you don't know what you're doing.

Wix is ok to get you going and off the ground but it has some limitations you might find at a later date and also I tend to see all Wix sites look the same/very similar - for now though, will do the job :)

Thanks!

I was looking at either using Siteground for domain and hosting, with Wordpress for site builder OR Wix for everything. I had a play around with both and I found Wix's site builder easier to use but is also about double the price. Siteground is a lot cheaper and has better reviews for hosting and customer support, however it may end up costing more if I choose one of the premium themes in WordPress. It's all SO CONFUSING!

I did my website myself for years and it was ok but a nightmare when it crashed or something went wrong.

Last year Bannerpenguin designed my new website. It was cheaper than I expected, they host it and when I have a problem (usually self inflicted) I was able to say 'help!'

I am now getting much more traffic to my website and more business from it so it was definitely worth the investment.

I did my website myself for years and it was ok but a nightmare when it crashed or something went wrong.

Last year Bannerpenguin designed my new website. It was cheaper than I expected, they host it and when I have a problem (usually self inflicted) I was able to say 'help!'

I am now getting much more traffic to my website and more business from it so it was definitely worth the investment.
Thanks for the positive review :)

Thanks!

I was looking at either using Siteground for domain and hosting, with Wordpress for site builder OR Wix for everything. I had a play around with both and I found Wix's site builder easier to use but is also about double the price. Siteground is a lot cheaper and has better reviews for hosting and customer support, however it may end up costing more if I choose one of the premium themes in WordPress. It's all SO CONFUSING!
Siteground are fantastic. We use them for our clients all be it some of their much more expensive dedicated servers.

The problem you'll come across is WordPress isn't really a website builder it's a CMS (content management system). Have you had a play around? I'm 90% sure, if I ever handed a blank WordPress install to a client and said can you design it yourself, they wouldn't have a clue where to start. You really need some knowledge of HTML, CSS & PHP to achieve a good site in WordPress. Premium themes sometimes are ok however the build quality across themes is massively varied so it's something to watch out for. I find if it's a very popular 'theme' then I've seen it 10 times before on other businesses in the same industry. Remember with WordPress you are also responsible for managing your own backups & security to keep your site secure at user level.

I'm not trying to put you off but it's a lot more involved although a lot better. I always say, if you're a novice (not saying you are as I don't know) instead of wasting money having a go at wordpress your best off going with a Wix site or similar, saving up the money to get a real website done. A website is an investment and should easily make you a return on what it costs.

Hope that helps :)
Any questions ask away!

Siteground are fantastic. We use them for our clients all be it some of their much more expensive dedicated servers.

The problem you'll come across is WordPress isn't really a website builder it's a CMS (content management system). Have you had a play around? I'm 90% sure, if I ever handed a blank WordPress install to a client and said can you design it yourself, they wouldn't have a clue where to start. You really need some knowledge of HTML, CSS & PHP to achieve a good site in WordPress. Premium themes sometimes are ok however the build quality across themes is massively varied so it's something to watch out for. I find if it's a very popular 'theme' then I've seen it 10 times before on other businesses in the same industry. Remember with WordPress you are also responsible for managing your own backups & security to keep your site secure at user level.

I'm not trying to put you off but it's a lot more involved although a lot better. I always say, if you're a novice (not saying you are as I don't know) instead of wasting money having a go at wordpress your best off going with a Wix site or similar, saving up the money to get a real website done. A website is an investment and should easily make you a return on what it costs.

Hope that helps :)
Any questions ask away!

Thank you for all the advice, you've been great! I'm going to go ahead with Wix as I found it a lot easier to use. ;)

My website is with Wix and since It went live 36 months ago it's never crashed or had and problems at all. It's super simple to use everything, change, add to and update. I'm very happy with Wix. My website is www.perfectlypamperedhands.co.uk if you'd like to look at it ☺
I always get compliments from clients on it

Second for wix... Here's mine www.thehairextension-Studio.com

You can do some fab things with wix , I have a shop, booking form and also take despotis through it too xxx

Lovely sites ladies! Can't wait to start playing around designing mine! xx

Latest posts

Back