First year after training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31754

Reaction score
what are people's experiences with their first year on the floor?

i mean did you feel a bit panicky at first, and like giving up? or that u'd never be good enough? did you feel as though u were letting the salon down? or panicked when you had someone come in with massively THICK, CURLY CURLY hair?

people say the first year after u qualify is usually the most difficult, and it has been, but I would like you guys to please write just a few short sentences (or paragraphs if you like lol) just describing how your first year as a qualified stylist went. I would like to gauge how i am feeling and if its all normal. PLEASE! it would really help.

xxxxxx to y'all out there!
:lick:

hiya
just finished my first year in the salon after doing level 2 at college and I know how you feel. I jst don't know where I am at the moment. One day I think I know what I'm doing and the next things don't go to plan and I'm aware that I'm still way slower than the other stylists. You start doubting whether you'll ever get there but I suppose it takes time and hairdressing takes a lot more skill than most people think.
kate xx

I nearly gave up during my first year. Lots of people do, as the pressure of actually doing hair is too much.
I spent lots of time crying in the staff room, got sacked from 2 jobs, threw up through nerves, and was generally pretty rubbish.
You are perfectly normal.
Grit your teeth and carry on. The easiest thing to do is give up. As the proud owner of a chain of salons, I'm jolly glad I stuck with it. x

I am nearing the end of my first year as a stylist, and it's been tough!
I was thrown in at the deep end, as my boss went on maternity leave literally weeks after I had qualified so I was pretty much running the salon single handedly! Although this was great because I had to stand on my own two feet, I had my fair share of ARGH! moments.
Yes, I've thought of giving up on several occasions, but have thankfully been persuaded otherwise! I'm definately getting more confident, but still have those moments where I think "OMG what am I going to do?"
I just tell myself to stop being silly and get on with it!

i think alot of folk are gonna agree wit ya love, i remember my first few weeks of having my own column, it was terrifying, i used to shake and sweat and stutter, but now i dont even think bout it, whatever anyone throws at me im like RIGHT heres wot we are gonna do!!!
i think you know you've cracked it when it genuinly becomes almost second nature and you kinda stop fearing the unknown. .

untill u have that epiphony though stick it out, practice as much as you can and when its quiet watch more experienced stylists do there thing!

xxx

its so strange how u can go from feeling like ur an excellent stylist to feeling like u are the worst and are going to be fired on the spot!

does going on courses help at all? i have a couple thousand £'s saved up for courses and did think about getting onto a sassoon cutting course. any ideas what that is like?

i already have their ABC dvds and am scared that if i fork out for ANY course, not just vidal ones, i won't get anywhere.

do u guys find courses help? are they worth the money?

The ONLY thing that works is time and practice. There are NO SHORTCUTS to experience. Courses are of more benefit once you have more experience on the salon floor. In your first year, a Sassoon cutting course would possibly be a bit beyond you. Keep watching more experienced stylists, and keep asking questions. Your basic training is the START of learning to be a great stylist.

Hairdressing is a job which is great fun and quite nerve racking when you start out. We all want to please every one and do to the best of our ability

First of all comunication is the up most importance as this is where 95% of complaints come from. But if you get it right you hit the jackpot.
Practise your weakness myself I have been hairdressing over 20 years and was lucky enough to work in one of the best hairdressing trainig academies in the UK so I trained every 2 weeks but really every day as I worked with such talented people.
By a block and practice hair ups blowdries haircuts stay behind at work and do the model nights or go on a course something like classic cuts Toni and Guy. Buy DVD from ebay they are cheaper on there ABC sassons and Future Classics Toni and Guy

Latest posts

Back