Foils steamed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piersstanaway

Reaction score
Had a client today with many applications of base 3 box dye clairol nice n easy. She wanted to go lighter i said id do a full head foils probably only able to get to a level 5 at most bust still client was keen to try.
I did the whole back section with Bleach 20vol only to open one of the foils to find the bleach had turned completely watery and foil was burning hot!!! Thank god clients scalp didnt come in contact
Client assured me she never used Henna before
What could have happened here??? Clients hair was very fragile after this also

Chemical reaction to something. Often see this if metallic salts are present

Definitely some sort of catalyst.

Did you perform an incompatibility test prior?

What products did you use? Could be minerals from well water or chemicals already in the hair, sometimes using generic peroxide with certain brands of bleach can do it too

Omg! How awful

did you do strand test before ?

Nah no strand test as didnt think average box dye would be an issue, client said no henna in consult.
Lesson learnt !

Nah no strand test as didnt think average box dye would be an issue, client said no henna in consult.
Lesson learnt !

Yeah never believe! lol... i always strand test and just explain its not you don't trust them you just need to see if its possible to achieve what they are wanting etc :p

Lesson learnt !

Some box dyes contain metallic salts which doesn't bode well with pro colours!

This clairol nice n easy box dye has had reports of severe allergic reactions too

Lesson learnt !
Assuming this was a new client?
Golden rule - ALWAYS do a test, never take anything for granted in this game....as you've just learnt.

It is definitely a Metallic Salts reaction. It could've come from the box hair colour, it could've come from her own tap water.

Frightening as hell, i couldnt even touch the foil, so lucky it was in the back of the hair

Last edited:
Pretty sure I read somewhere Clairol is full of metallic salts.

Clairol nice and easy years ago ( back in the dark ages when I started as a hair dresser) was a definite no no to colour over because of the Metallic salts in it.
I once had a similar thing happen to me. But all she had used was John Freda blonde shampoo and conditioner and a leave in conditioner for the beach!!!! I had coloured her hair a few times before. And she had only just started using this product. Her hair was smoking and sizzling after only 5 mins. I took out what I had put in and wouldn't do anymore. The client got the huff on and walked out!!! Needless to say I wasn't bothered X
So it could be colour it could be products that she'd used too x

Most box colours have metallic salts the Xl live ones are the worst !

Latest posts

Back