Colour after Covid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey xox

Reaction score
Hi,
I went to do a skin patch test on a new client today, she had Covid back in March which made her hair fall out, the weird thing is she said it was only where she had bleached highlights?? Not her natural darker hair! She’s been colouring at home since with a level 5 box dye 😭 with no reaction,
She wants some bright red highlights put in which I’m about to do a strand test on at home with wella 55/46 &6%, but has anyone come across this before?? She’s nervous but also so fed up with her own colour, patch test is ok so far, but it was only done this morning!
what are your views on this?

Hi,
I went to do a skin patch test on a new client today, she had Covid back in March which made her hair fall out, the weird thing is she said it was only where she had bleached highlights?? Not her natural darker hair! She’s been colouring at home since with a level 5 box dye 😭 with no reaction,
She wants some bright red highlights put in which I’m about to do a strand test on at home with wella 55/46 &6%, but has anyone come across this before?? She’s nervous but also so fed up with her own colour, patch test is ok so far, but it was only done this morning!
what are your views on this?
That's a strange one, is she suggesting that it snapped maybe?

I’m not overly sure, she said fell out! I just would’ve thought it would effected all the hair, not just the coloured ones? She’s had it cut really short since so I wasn’t able to see what her hair went like?

It could be a reaction to Covid or even the vaccine. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m aware of reading lots of anecdotal information of strange reactions following a Covid infection.

However, it sounds very similar to when the hair contains metallic salts and you apply a peroxide based tint.

As she’s asking for Red, can you check if she’s ever used a Henna product on it? I strongly recommend you do an incompatibility test on several sections of the hair, just in case.

It could be a reaction to Covid or even the vaccine. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m aware of reading lots of anecdotal information of strange reactions following a Covid infection.

However, it sounds very similar to when the hair contains metallic salts and you apply a peroxide based tint.

As she’s asking for Red, can you check if she’s ever used a Henna product on it? I strongly recommend you do an incompatibility test on several sections of the hair, just in case.
By incompatibility do you mean a strand test to check for breakage? I did that and there were no problems, took it from just under the top as it’s where would place the colour, test was ok, she said she felt a slight tingle reaction to the skin test, after about 5 mins then it went? I’ve had high lift on my scalp before so I know a tingle can be normal, but I’m stumped as to what to do? I’m mobile!
She hasn’t had henna, pre-Covid she had bleach highlights in a salon, and at home used permanent colour.

No, I think you’re getting confused with the elasticity/wet stretch test that tests the porosity of the hair.

An incompatibility test is to test for the presence of metallic salts.
You cut a few strands of hair from different areas of the head and place in a glass dish and apply a solution of peroxide and perm lotion. You will have covered this at college in your level 2.

Incompatibility Test
1 part perm solution to 20 parts 6% (20 vol) liquid peroxide

Wait 20 minutes

Look for;
Bubbling
Fizzing
Heat
Colour change

No, I think you’re getting confused with the elasticity/wet stretch test that tests the porosity of the hair.

An incompatibility test is to test for the presence of metallic salts.
You cut a few strands of hair from different areas of the head and place in a glass dish and apply a solution of peroxide and perm lotion. You will have covered this at college in your level 2.

Incompatibility Test
1 part perm solution to 20 parts 6% (20 vol) liquid peroxide

Wait 20 minutes

Look for;
Bubbling
Fizzing
Heat
Colour change
Oh yes remember that now, thank you,

Latest posts

Back