Freebies in Salon. thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frizzbiz

Reaction score
hello everyone. I have a dilemma and would like some input if possible. I am a colorist in a high end salon in NYC. Our salon is on the second floor commercial space, storefront in a high profile area of manhattan. We rarely get walk ins and most if not all of our business is word of mouth or referrals via online reviews etc. My dilemma is we are asked to do freebies for PR purposes. Which to some degree is ok and I have no qualms. For example single process, few highlights.. ok. However today I spent 3 hours on a free color correction and I almost lost my (u know) Especially because the client was 30 mins late, in a rush and tipped me 15 bucks to top it off. I am a colorist with over 13 years experience and a rather high price point and feel insulted that my services are being offered pro bono. With that being said I am an "employee". If it were my salon, maybe I would feel different. Can someone please give me some advice. I am trying to approach this with a calm state of mind. Right now I am really pissed about it and feel abused and unappreciated. Anything I say is going to come off harsh and offensive. Trying to find some balance here. any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Was today's client because of your employers PR efforts? (I'm assuming it's not something like groupon or gilt that gets people in the door, because many don't often return. For them it's often about the price.) Also was it someone in the industry such as a beauty editor, etc.? I'd be pissed also, but more so if it was not someone in the industry who would not help advance your career and salon more. For instance if it was a beauty editor or someone like Eva Chen of Lucky wouldn't bother me as much. Did this freebie spread the word on social media such as posting pics on Instagram with hashtags?

Not sure who does your salons PR and if it's only your employer doing the PR efforts. I don't know your relationship with employer, but I'd personally remain calm and then find a time when you can discuss. There is no sense of doing this for free at a salon if there is nothing in return. This is getting into PR a bit, but if salon keeps doing this, there needs to be some sort of dialogue with these freebies such as: "We love having you as a guest in our salon. Spread the word on social media! Feel free to share picture of my work and our salon on Instagram." I'm assuming your salon is on Insta.

There are too many people waiting for something for free. And a 15.00 tip. My gosh. And these freebies you spend so much time on, you definitely need a calm word with employer. Maybe wait for a bit of time to pass so you can gather your thoughts. I'd be pissed, too. Re-reading this, there really needs to be a cap of what you do for free. 3 hours = insane.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back