French plait

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charl9313

Reaction score
sutton coldfield birmingham uk and luqa, malta
Tips and advice on french plaits? Got a client in tomorrow who wants a french plait and not too confident on french plaits. Struggle with technique and getting it looking neat and tight enough. Also been a long time since ive done one!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I struggle with these sometimes, I find if you hold the hair as close and tightly to head as possible with one hand, whilst taking the next section with the other hand/finger everything stays in place, other than that practice, practice and more practice lol, see if a friend can come round tonight to try it on before your client tomorrow 😄

French pleats, pleats of any kind really are my forte! I'm defo very good at these. If u start like a normal pleat then use your index or middle finger to section and scoop hair up and join in to the section your have just crossed over. Just practice a lot, it will become easier. You must keep your hands as close to the Scalp at all times or it will get loose and baggy (not a nice look) I taught myself completely just with perseverance and now I'm a pro, hav a look on youtube for tutorials too. Good luck

Practise makes perfect with these!!!! Practise lots then you can do things like this..... ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1381410043.667276.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1381410060.430583.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1381410072.111658.jpg. I love doing em!! :)

I'd say the same practise loads, I'm also self taught and absolutely love plaiting and twists, they make a great addition to hair ups too! X

Any step by step explanations would be great. When I scoop a section of hair does it have to go into the plait itself or behind it, or in front?

Any step by step explanations would be great. When I scoop a section of hair does it have to go into the plait itself or behind it, or in front?

Type cutgirlshairstyles.com in google, will give u loads of help and loads and loads of video tutorials. Xxxxx

The rib cage braid is lovely and really easy, lots of tutorials on you tube x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I have just realised how difficult this is going to be to explain in erect. I'll do my best.

So a normal three strand pleat, is left over middle, right over middle, left over middle etc.

When you do a French braid you have your three strands, do a couple of normal pleats to get it going, left over middle, right over middle.
Then you're going to start adding more hair into the braid.
So each time you bring a section over the middle you want to pick up a little more hair, and add it to one of those strands.

Three strands, scoop a 1cm section from the left and add it to the left strand, bring it over the middle strand. Then scoop a 1cm section from the right and add it do the right strand, bring it over the middle.

Go slow. Keep your hands as close to the scalp as possible and keep it as firm and tight as possible, because it will loosen with all the fiddling of picking up more hair. When you get do the occipital get them to tilt their head forward so you can keep the brain tight to the head down to the neck.

At the end, if you have any lumps in the hair, use a tail comb to push it into the braid. Finish with spray :)

I have just realised how difficult this is going to be to explain in erect. I'll do my best.

OMG. I have been struggling with my iPad auto correcting all morning, even with words that I spell right! I meant "text". It's going to be difficult to explain in text! Lol.

Latest posts

Back