From subtle caramel highlights to rich dark brown help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirella92

Reaction score
Hey! I am from Germany but I love your site, please excuse my mistakes :)

I have a case with a natural 5 to 4 dark brown hair (long 3a curly in extremely good condition) which has been highlighted with 30 vol, but not too much to a caramel-very golden 8 to 7 shade, but there are some very thin strands that look like a 9. Or maybe because the hair has gotten brassy now after 6 weeks from the last toning.

Goal is a rich dark brown, maybe a chocolate thats not overwhelming on the redness.

As I am just starting in this field I am a bit confused what to use. I want to do it the sure way so I will pre pig. My options are loreal or wella. What do you think of these formulations?

First way:
1. pre pig with dia light 6.34 or 6.45 or even 6.65? with 6 vol developer
2. dry hair and apply dia richesse in 5.0 (here I am not sure what I wanna use, 5.3 or 5.0 but not that important I think)

Second way:
1. Pre pig with wella perfecton /43
2. dry hair and apply dia richesse see above

OR apply color touch in 5.3, but it must be done on damp hair so I dont understand how can I pre pig with perfecton.

Confused.

Also once I have gotten to the chocolate should the hair be pre pigged every 28-42 days after the demi has faded or I can go with just lets say dialight in a 5 or 5.3 tone for maintaining the brown. My preference is to use the dia range because its acidic and makes the hair like butter! at least my experience. Also pre pigging with the dia will allow me to pig just the blonde highlights on dry hair while with perfecton its impossible to recognize the blond areas on wet hair. Like I said the highlights are subtle but I dont wanna risk getting them green...

So I will be SO thankful if you tell me if I am in the right direction :) Really.... huge thanks in advance.

P.s. its not like impossible to see the wet highlights just riskier... you know wet hair is darker.

Hey! I am from Germany but I love your site, please excuse my mistakes :)

I have a case with a natural 5 to 4 dark brown hair (long 3a curly in extremely good condition) which has been highlighted with 30 vol, but not too much to a caramel-very golden 8 to 7 shade, but there are some very thin strands that look like a 9. Or maybe because the hair has gotten brassy now after 6 weeks from the last toning.

Goal is a rich dark brown, maybe a chocolate thats not overwhelming on the redness.

As I am just starting in this field I am a bit confused what to use. I want to do it the sure way so I will pre pig. My options are loreal or wella. What do you think of these formulations?

First way:
1. pre pig with dia light 6.34 or 6.45 or even 6.65? with 6 vol developer
2. dry hair and apply dia richesse in 5.0 (here I am not sure what I wanna use, 5.3 or 5.0 but not that important I think)

Second way:
1. Pre pig with wella perfecton /43
2. dry hair and apply dia richesse see above

OR apply color touch in 5.3, but it must be done on damp hair so I dont understand how can I pre pig with perfecton.

Confused.

Also once I have gotten to the chocolate should the hair be pre pigged every 28-42 days after the demi has faded or I can go with just lets say dialight in a 5 or 5.3 tone for maintaining the brown. My preference is to use the dia range because its acidic and makes the hair like butter! at least my experience. Also pre pigging with the dia will allow me to pig just the blonde highlights on dry hair while with perfecton its impossible to recognize the blond areas on wet hair. Like I said the highlights are subtle but I dont wanna risk getting them green...

So I will be SO thankful if you tell me if I am in the right direction :) Really.... huge thanks in advance.
Hi. I wouldn’t even pre pig if using a wella 5/3 with 5/0. The /3 is gold so gold on gold won’t go green!!!!! I would use colour touch with 1.9

Think about the lightening curve.
You need to put back the missing pigments when going darker and the underlying pigment for a level 5 is red/orange, not yellow.

I strongly appreciate any input, but just such conflicting opinions will always bring me to the safe side of pre pigging :D

So back to my questions what reddish shade you will pre pig with in wella or dia light 6.34(its more copper not red thats why more of a 6.45 or sth else?) when you start with a brassy previously warm 8 shade. Some 9nes in there too.

And than a 5.0/3 or 5.0 mixed with a dash of 4.0 on top.

Also after 4 weeks of this process when the color is faded would you still need to pre pig or can maintain with the desired shade in dia light/richesse? :)

Thanks!

I pre pigged with 6.46 (copper red) dialight vol 6 on the lighter parts of the hair and actually through the virgin top half of the hair for extra reflects and thancoloured with dia richesse 1/3 5N and 2/3 4N vol 9. and it turned just perfect. Very balanced chocolate brown.

Latest posts

Back