Gel advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ljkent

Reaction score
Hey ladies, I'm new so please be nice I'm nervous to post. I've tried to search some of my questions so not to have to post myself but all I've seen is arguments! So please bare with me I'm not trying to put myself in the firing line I just wanted a bit of insight. Apologies in advance I'm so anxious and excited about this new venture it will probably all come out like nonsense.

I'm currently training online and booked to do a few courses with Portsmouth hair and beauty school who are registered with The guild of beauty therapists and the courses will allow me to be insured with them, so first question has anyone trained with them and are they all they seem?
Second I've seen A LOT of things on here about Bluesky, to be clear I am not contemplating purchasing these products to use on paying clients however was considering buying a starter kit to practice purely from a cost perspective as you all know training isn't cheap and I have limited funds left for equipment.
What are people's thoughts on this? Is there a better yet reasonably priced starter set for gel nails that isn't surrounded by so much conflict?
Also I've been having my nails done for years using gel and the forms to create the extension I would like to find a specific course in this and advice on what products to purchase and practice with would be great, I just really want to get my confidence up before I'm in a room with people taking the practical courses. Sorry if this came out less than articulate. Any advice you guys wish to give on any aspect of training and equipment will be so appreciated.

If you want to practice gel polish you can get a practice hand off eBay & stick acrylic nails on from homebargains. That's what I do because the tips supplied are so big.

You won't be able to buy the polish until you've got your manicure certificate though.

I wouldn't worry about practical courses, everyone's nervous. If they are on the course their skill base on that subject is the same as yours.

I did not buy my gel polish kit until after my course and I don't regret it because I use my brands on myself and showcase my products that way. What I mean with this is, in my opinion it is worth doing the course and buying something you'll end up using on clients instead of sitting around with a mix match of gel polish you won't even bother buying a system or a lamp for. If this is what you want to do for the long run think about your choices now and their impact in the long run.
I get the urges to buy shiny new things to play with. But unless you don't want to start a business in nails go for the marathon purchases, not the impulse ones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back