Gel and acrylic brushes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

Im currently in cosmetology school and nail care is a really big passion of mine! My school does not teach L&P as where I live people prefer Gel and also the ventilation in my school isnt up to the proper standards for 18-32 people to be using L&P products everyday.

My question is: I have recently purchased the OPI Absolute L&P kit and unfortunately I do not have a brush. I know that brushes for L&P have to have natural bristles while Gel uses synthetic, but until I can get a proper brush does anybody have an idea of what would happen if I were to use my gel brush? Would the monomer eat at the synthetic bristles? Or would the synthetic bristles not absorb any liquid and cause my beads to be too wet? Any help is appreciated guys thank you! :)

Your gel brush would not be any good for acrylic at all! The bristles wouldn't soak up much liquid at all giving you a very dry bead of acrylic. Have a look at some pictures of a gel brush vs an acrylic brush - they're very different!

When I first started I used a fairly cheap acrylic brush by a brand called "the edge" in a size 8 I think it was about £10. Most people recommend going for a smaller brush when you first start - but I found once I moved up to a size 8 I found everything much easier. It all depends on how you prefer to work!

I now use the NSI grand kolinksy no. 8 (I think that's what it's called), which was about £30. It's a really great brush.

For a mid/low range brush try the "Big boy" brush by cuccio - I haven't tried it myself but I've heard really great things about it and it's only about £15.

I also found when I first started I clogged up a few brushes with acrylic whilst learning the right liquid to powder ratio - so maybe don't by anything too expensive until you've mastered that!

I figured as much! Just wanted to make 100% sure ahahah! Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back