Gel extensions not lasting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie28

Reaction score
Hi

I'm having so many problems with gel extensions not lasting. I trained with nail harmony so I know how to do them properly. I used to do acrylics which lasted fine but unfortunately I am allergic to them now so can't use them anymore :(

I have tried so many gels including brisa, brisa lite, ibd and rock hard from ACG.
They just only seem to last no more than a week whereas acrylics lasted ages!

It's getting to the point where I'm considering stopping doing them!

I have no problems with gel polish or shellac or anything else. I just hate doing gel extensions and dread people booking in for them now.

I have gigi's book and have watched so many you tube videos to check I am doing them correctly. I know it's not prep as I have no problems with other things.

Not sure what to do!?

I have just started to use NSI Balance gel. I'm enjoying using it, and whilst I'm only doing myself and friends at the moment, it's going ok. Might be worth a go. Hope you get sorted soon. :)

What are the steps?
What brand have you tried etc?

What are the steps?
What brand have you tried etc?

Like I said, I have tried many including brisa, brisa lite, ibd, gelish hard gel, artistic rock hard etc.

I do the prep,

Cuticle removal thoroughly
Buff (if needed by product)
Dehydrate with scrub fresh
Use nail fresh if lift prone
Apply tip and blend or sculpt

Bonder
Base coat
Thin layer
Logging method
Float out to edges
Leaving strength in apex
Extra builder layer if needed.
Shape and file
Top coat

That is obviously the brief version of what I do lol

Thanks for any replies x

Try young nails protein bond mine used to last 1 to2 weeks now I'm getting 3 if not more

Have you tried the Gelish Hard Gel for
Gel enhancements. I find it to be long lasting and strong?
I don't do acrylics so not sure about the thickness of acrylic used and how to build it etc but might it be that you are applying the gel like you would acrylic and maybe they need to be applied differently if that makes sense? I can always remember in my very first training course I did the trainer advised that acrylic can be built too thickly whereas gel can sometimes not be built thickly enough over the apex and you get a dip? Don't hold me to that because I'm not saying that's right lol. I'm just trying to come up with a solution to your problem xx

💕💅 Keep calm and make 'em Gelish 💅💕

I'm using t3 by cuccio on a client as nsi keeps lifting... A problem nail but I hope it's solved! I also used youngs protein bond so will reply here when infills are due next sat x

I actually trained initially with nail harmony and used to use gelish hard gel.
It doesn't seem to matter which brand I try, so it's obviously something I'm doing (or not?)

I think maybe I am making them too thin like I was used to with acrylics?

Could anyone post pics of their different stages of gel extensions?

I have been using salon services UV sculpture gel for years and normally lasts about 3 weeks

Gel extensions are meant to be thinner and stronger than acrylics I think. But not to thin. (If that makes sense) i do the first layer very thin and work it round the nail to get it warm and the blood flowing to the nail bed. Then 2 or 3 thicker layers. X

I am the same I've been qualified for a year now and I'm still using the edge builder gel from college. I did a friends nails last Monday and she text me yesterday to say she's had some nail casualties she has problems with gel lifting quite easily. I wondered if anyone could suggest some other makes that I could use please? I dread anyone wanting nail extensions as I don't do many in the salon or at home but want to be really confident in them. Thank you ☺️ Xx

I am the same I've been qualified for a year now and I'm still using the edge builder gel from college. I did a friends nails last Monday and she text me yesterday to say she's had some nail casualties she has problems with gel lifting quite easily. I wondered if anyone could suggest some other makes that I could use please? I dread anyone wanting nail extensions as I don't do many in the salon or at home but want to be really confident in them. Thank you ☺️ Xx

I feel your pain lol.

I've been doing it for about 2 1/2 years now and still have 'clicked' with gel extensions. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't! X

I will suggest going for LCN course as it is by far the best product on the Market

Sent from my GT-I9500 using SalonGeek mobile app

I actually trained initially with nail harmony and used to use gelish hard gel.
It doesn't seem to matter which brand I try, so it's obviously something I'm doing (or not?)

I think maybe I am making them too thin like I was used to with acrylics?

Could anyone post pics of their different stages of gel extensions?

Maybe try to make them just a little thicker as you can always file it down to make them thinner once you have applied it? But I think you do need that you need a fair amount of strength by making them thicker? if not speak to somebody at NH or your trainer and see where you're going wrong?
I don't have any pictures at the moment but I am more than happy to take some pictures and send them to you when I do my next set?
Also when I was training, I was taught to use ProBond and then a thin layer of gel as the foundation, where as someone else recommended using the foundation gel as the base for the enhancement? I have found this helps the adhesion and lasts longer xx

Maybe try to make them just a little thicker as you can always file it down to make them thinner once you have applied it? But I think you do need that you need a fair amount of strength by making them thicker? if not speak to somebody at NH or your trainer and see where you're going wrong?
I don't have any pictures at the moment but I am more than happy to take some pictures and send them to you when I do my next set?
Also when I was training, I was taught to use ProBond and then a thin layer of gel as the foundation, where as someone else recommended using the foundation gel as the base for the enhancement? I have found this helps the adhesion and lasts longer xx

Thank you, that would be really helpful :)
I will also try that tip too xx

You could always pm me the photos if you like? X

Any luck getting any photos of gel extensions? X

Latest posts

Back