Gel horror story.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
A friend of mine just came to see me and I was amazed! She went to have natural gel overlays at a well known place. (Well the nail tech wasn't well known but the salon she is associated with definitely is!!!! )
Anyway. She had them done on Saturday morning and by the afternoon, gel was peeling off a couple of her nails where the edges hadn't been capped. She went back in and the tech GLUED the gel back on and sent her on her way.

My friend, who had never had gels done before said to me that she would never have them again as she didn't know they hurt so much under the lamp!
The tech told her to put her hands under for 3 seconds at a time as they would burn her otherwise. My poor friend though this was normal and paid up full price.

It amazes me that these people are allowed to work as nail techs. I can even understand if maybe something went wrong that particular day but to glue gel back onto someones nail plate is so wrong!!
Especially if this person is working within a well known place. YOu would think the other company would check up on it as it could damage reputations!

...Sorry - Moan over.
Sam XX

Hiya Sammi,

Some gel companies do recommend you put the nails into the lamp for 3 seconds then bring them out then in for the full time to slow down the polymerisation and thus stop that sharp hot feeling you can sometimes get, however... I'm not sure if this happens with the new breed of gels out there, I'd tend to think not as I always used to think 'well if you are slowing down the process surely you're enhancement can't be that strong', I could be wrong though, my gel knowledge isn't great! J xx

I 'freeze' my nails one at a time for 10 seconds to hold the shape, on the fifth nail they go under the lamp for a full cure. The heat sensation is usually caused by the gel being applied to thickly.

With regards to the gel being stuck down with adhesive....well, not good, it will soon break down!

I have a nail salon local to me, the nails are terrible, but i pick up business from the them! One off my regulars forgot to rebook and expected me to fit her in on a particular day, i had no appointments free, so she went somewhere else, 2 days later the nails have lifted and she has lost 3, does my reputation no harm a tall!

Only problem being it may put people off having enhancemants applied after having a bad experience.

Latest posts

Back