Gel nails and design

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss evo

Reaction score
Hi okay i hope someone can enlighten me as i am so confused right now. I just did an online course with essential nails but there are many things that i still dont know. I would be so happy if someone could shed some light for me on these questions.

1. After applying gel on natural nails or a extended tip. Is it best to use gel polish to coat them or normal polish.

2. if gel polish do you still have to apply base coat and top coat?

3. What is gel colour for and whats the difference between that and gel polish?

4. If wanted to learn to sculpt 3d design art work ontop is there a gel powder i can use or do i use acylic to do the art work?

5. what tips are best applied for gel nails?

6. are reusable nail forms better than throw away nail forms?

Please can someone help me :irked: Thankyou :eek:

To me it looks like your course hasn't even covered the basics, so I would advise you to look up a reputable company and get some professional training. It will be well worth it if you would like a career in nails.

Hi okay i hope someone can enlighten me as i am so confused right now. I just did an online course with essential nails but there are many things that i still dont know. I would be so happy if someone could shed some light for me on these questions.

1. After applying gel on natural nails or a extended tip. Is it best to use gel polish to coat them or normal polish.

4. If wanted to learn to sculpt 3d design art work ontop is there a gel powder i can use or do i use acylic to do the art work?

1: I use a gel topcoat over gel enhancements; unless doing nail art using acrylic paints then I use a polish top coat.

2: gel polishes are their own systems you should always follow manufacturers directions and use matching products.

3: gel colour could be either a hard or soak off gel to be used with its system of builder gels etc all depending on how you are applying.

4: There are ways of doing 3d gel art you can look on YouTube for ideas. You can use acrylic on top of gel for art; I am not trained in acrylics so haven't done this myself I buy 3d items or draw nail art myself.

5: Every technician has their own personal favourite tips. I use nsi dura tips as I use the whole nsi system and they work fab for me.

6: I have never used nail forms. But by reading I would buy ones to throw after use for hygiene reasons.

As above post mentions I learnt all of this apart from the sculpting in my course. I think it may be worth taking a conversion course for whichever brand you choose to use. That way you will know how their products work and you will get the results from using them correctly.x
Hope that helps?x

1) finish your gel nails completly including the top coat for the system. you could use colored gel , gel polish or even normal polish all of witch will last nicely on enhanced nails .
Know your product though . Is it a hard (buff off) type ? Then feel free to use anything .
A soak off type? Remember not to damage them when removing your chosen color layer .

2) as far as I know no you can go straight ahead onto an enhanced nail with out base coat for a gel polish BUT its always best to check what the brand of gel polish recommend .

3) colored gel have been around longer than gel polishes , you can use them in the same way as gel polishes , it is good to remember while amazing techniques and creations can be done with gel polishes and uv colors they are aimed more at natural nails as an upgrade to traditional polish.

4) there are such things as 3d sculpting gels , they are high viscosity , seen some prity things done with it but ive never had a go . I love doing 3D with acrylic (L&P ) it was one of the things that first piqued my interest in nails , I don't know how arty you are some people seem to do well learning 3d from you tube some from classes , I know the pressure is there to be amazing right away , but you can also buy ready made bits , I think right now it's quite nice for the not so artistic that ready made 3d art is becoming a common used practice .it used to be looked on more as kind of cheating .

5) clear tips .

6) I've herd of a brand that are no longer made (can't think of the name ) that wear re useable , people loved them and rated them , the Essential nails ones are not so good .
Disposable ones are good . Not so much the horse shoe ones , but regular are easy to use , again like the tips clear are best if you can get them .

As for what has been said already about your course , ok home learning is not ideal but its a start , a foundation , and clearly for you it is working as it's got you thinking and working as you have good questions :) keep that mind set you will go as far as you let your self honey . :D x

#Ch-ela, Thanx for ur input. The course i took was a diploma in nail technology with essential nail instiute cost me £597 and i still need to buy additional supplies. I am doing a career pack in gel nails. which is split in 3 courses. first foundation of gel nails and essential techniques, 2nd maintaining gel nails and 3rd nail art. I think i regret doing a home course now as i dont have any support regarding if i am doing it right and canot ask questions. it was a mistake but i done it now :( x

#Laurza Thank u for answering my questions really appreciate it. Helped me see things a little clearer amd regarding ur advice on the conversion course i will deffo look into it just mad that i need to spend more money :'( should of done more research x

#mizzy-dizzy thank you so much for your detailed advice regarding my questions. It has helped me alot. Regarding the 3d nail art you say you use acrylic would i need to do a course in acrylic if i only want to use it for 3d or do you think i can teach myself? And thanx so much for ur positive remark at the end i appreciate it :) x

You do know you can ring them for help they are very good at replying on Facebook and there is a speak online thing on their website x

#ginavee2012 hiya yes they have been helpful i have used the online chat with them regarding the course. But not the questions above i dont want to ask them coz i have not had my work marked yet and they probs will think im jumping to far ahead. I am just curious tho guess i want to just jump into the deep end and know everything at once. x

I'm like that jump ahead of myself then get in a right tizz when I can't just ask them the questions you want to know their great I always harness them :) there's loads of good Facebook groups aswell to join and ask aswell x

#ginavee2012 hmmm okay will add them on fb now thanx for ur advice xx

Latest posts

Back