Gel or L&P to cover damaged toenail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyS

Reaction score
Evening Geeks,

I have a friend who has damaged her big toenail so it is almost completely off (down to roughly bottom half/quarter). She wants a tip so that she can wear open toes or sandals and has asked for advice but I don't offer nail enhancements at all, only work on natural nails so Im not in a position to help.

So, my question is, would you recommend gel or L&P to help her out with this and if one is more appropriate than the other, please can you tell me why so I can pass the info on to her.

Thank you

I wouldn't recommend either on a toenail this short.

If the client want her nail to look nice for a special occasion, then just a tip will do in the short term. Apply like a false nail using GelBond adhesive and paint.

If it were me and I could see that the skin is all healed and she was just waiting for it to grow out, I would use either type of product. There is enough nail for the enhancment to be attached to. The enhancment can be built right over the skin with no issues. She just needs to be extra careful about keeping it clean and dry. If there were no nail at all for it to attach to and you were building a complete nail, I would suggest a traditional hard gel. This way it could be polished at home by the client as often as she wanted and re-glued on as necessary (I suggest CND's gelbond). I work with a couple of local podiatrists for this purpose as well as performing pedis for their patients with special circumstances, we rebuild toenails all the time.

Thank you for your reply guys.

She is coming over tonight so I'll be able to take a proper look then and see how much of the nail is actually damaged and what her best options may be.

Much appreciated

Facebook Some photos of a repair on someone who's toe was damaged years ago. I use l&p

Latest posts

Back