Gel polish chipping around free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle_61

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new nail technician, and I've been providing gel manicures with the Kiara Sky system. Accordingly, I've had a few clients tell me that their nails have chipped after 2 or 3 days around the free edge. I've tried to correct this issue by using dehydrator, capping the free edge and ensuring lightly polished layers. Nonetheless, the problem continues to occur. I also use an LED light to cure.

While researching possible causes/fixes, I came across a recommendation to use gel primer on the free edge. Is this a common practice?

Most people in this area have told me that when they go to other techs their gel polish will last 4 weeks or longer with no chipping. I was always taught that it should last approximately 2 weeks. Am I missing something?

Try using a primer on the free edge like cuccio fuse or young nails protein bond.. Yes primers are common place, a lot of techs use them I know I do

I'm a relatively new nail technician, and I've been providing gel manicures with the Kiara Sky system. Accordingly, I've had a few clients tell me that their nails have chipped after 2 or 3 days around the free edge. I've tried to correct this issue by using dehydrator, capping the free edge and ensuring lightly polished layers. Nonetheless, the problem continues to occur. I also use an LED light to cure.

While researching possible causes/fixes, I came across a recommendation to use gel primer on the free edge. Is this a common practice?

Most people in this area have told me that when they go to other techs their gel polish will last 4 weeks or longer with no chipping. I was always taught that it should last approximately 2 weeks. Am I missing something?

Try using orly gel fx, I find them the best I have clients which lasts 6 weeks !

Latest posts

Back