Gel polish difficulties

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Art of Beauty

Reaction score
Hey guys! I trained in gel polish a few weeks ago and I'm just really struggling with it - even just practising on myself I feel that they never have that beautiful look a gel polish usually gives & I have problems with them lifting after 1 week - they peel off in one piece !!

Here's my steps

1 file nails as shape
2 push back cuticle
2 wipe with acetone to dehydrate nail plate
3 buff slightly
4 one light coat of binder and cure
5 base coat cure 120 sec
6 thin coat of colour cure 120 sec
7 thin coat of colour cure 120 sec
8 thin coat of colour cure 120 sec
9 Top coat capping free edge cure 120
10 finishing wipe
11 cuticle oil

But sometimes the polish looks translucent or when I'm applying the first coat it's really watery so it sort of goes all over the place? I don't know what to do & my confidence is so low on doing them now :(

For step 2 does this include removal of any pterygium?

Only if it needs to be

The part I'm referring to is the thin layer of dead skin on the natural nail plate, usually removed with a metal thingy <--- only super pro terms used here [emoji1].

Reason asked is that if this is not properly removed, you can peel the whole thing off in the way you described.

Which Gels are you using?

If the Polish is translucent maybe you can try giving the bottles a good stir - I use half a kebab skewer or cocktail stick to do this <--- so pro, though you can buy special stirring tools if you prefer.

This may not work for you, so try what you think is best every time - also check in on your curing times.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll remove that if there is any to remove

I'm using sally signature ASP
I'm gonna try that :) they just don't look that nice way gel polish normally looks lol

Yeah I'll remove that if there is any to remove

I'm using sally signature ASP
I'm gonna try that :) they just don't look that nice way gel polish normally looks lol

I understand, try having a stir and see if things improve.

If you continue having the same results after checking everything, and your following the correct steps for the system etc, you could ask who you trained with.

If it was with Sally you could go down to the store, swatches in hand, explain the translucency issue, and see what Sally can recommend to you.

Also, try different products and see how your results are then x

Last edited:
For step 2 does this include removal of any pterygium?

Not your fault, but I have seen the word "Pterygium" used and it is actually a medical disorder. Unfortunately, I have also seen it in my own training courses when they actually mean "cuticle". You can also very lightly push the PNF with a pusher to claim some nail real estate if possible.

http://www.nailsmag.com/encyclopedia/64119/pterygium

Not your fault, but I have seen the word "Pterygium" used and it is actually a medical disorder. Unfortunately, I have also seen it in my own training courses when they actually mean "cuticle". You can also very lightly push the PNF with a pusher to claim some nail real estate if possible.

http://www.nailsmag.com/encyclopedia/64119/pterygium

Hey thanks for the link, yeah I've seen the term used for the disorder, and also as another part of the skin that should not be removed.

I've never been sure what to do with the info since it's given in training (EzFlow) so whenever asked I always clarify that it's the dead skin cells for removal, nothing else.

In training the disorder version of the word was not ever mentioned, I only discovered it myself when researching Nail issues on google.

Anyway, thanks for the link and again to clarify for anyone else reading, so that you do not damage parts of the nail that should remain, and do not confused the term with a condition - what is meant in in my post is that it is the non living tissue on the natural Nail plate that is referred to as pterygium in this post - nothing else.

I would wipe the nail and dehydrate after removing the shine, otherwise you are leaving dust behind/not dehydrating as much as you otherwise would be, personally I use an isopropyl alcohol based product rather than acetone too

Hey thanks for the link, yeah I've seen the term used for the disorder, and also as another part of the skin that should not be removed.

I've never been sure what to do with the info since it's given in training (EzFlow) so whenever asked I always clarify that it's the dead skin cells for removal, nothing else.

In training the disorder version of the word was not ever mentioned, I only discovered it myself when researching Nail issues on google.

Anyway, thanks for the link and again to clarify for anyone else reading, so that you do not damage parts of the nail that should remain, and do not confused the term with a condition - what is meant in in my post is that it is the non living tissue on the natural Nail plate that is referred to as pterygium in this post - nothing else.

No probs :)

Hey guys !! Dehydrating was the key! I didn't do that before - now they are staying on well over a week :)

Latest posts

Back