Gelish shrink free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybird54

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if I could get some advice!! I've been using gelish for a few months now and have been having good results. I've notice the last few sets I've fine that when I've cured the colour coat it seems to shrink away from the free edge slightly and also a bit from the side walks. Even after 2 coats it still seems to shrink a bit from the free edge. Not sure if it's a capping issue or prep,weak nails, the lamp, polish too thick or if it's normal and I'd but really noticed before?! They seem to be lasting ok on my clients but I did have someone in lady might who said after about a week after her last set, all of her nails broke off at the tip!! She never contacted me about it and didn't seem overly bothered by it but I wondered of this was because of something I've done or just purely that the nails became weak and just broke (they were fairly long)!

Sorry, but of a long one, just feeling a bit despondent!

And advice welcome

Thanks X

I find some colours in the gelish range more prone to shrinking than others. The best advice I would say is to make sure your base coat is an thin as possible and to dry rub/brush it in to the nail bed before the colour coat. This is what a gelish rep advised me and it does seem to help a bit.
I also flash cure a couple of fingers at a time to set them before they shrink as much.
In general I do this on a few sets to pay for the colour and then I get rid of it and I just don't re order that specific colour!

Dry brush after curing

Make sure you are doing thin coats.
If that fails, flash cure.

Thanks all. I do always dry brush but maybe I'm missing it a bit at the free edge, will try to pay more attention to that. What's the best way to flash cure? I've not done it before. Thank you x

Paint one or 2 nails, put in the lamp for 5/10 seconds then do the same with the rest. You'd only need to do it for he first colour coat. x

Aah ok thank you, will try that x

I have a few Gelish colours that do it also, even with the thinnest foundation layer and dry brushing it... I usually do 3 nails, cure, then 3 on the other hand, cure, then go back and do 2 nails cure and then back to the other hand 2 nails cure. I find I only have to do this on the first colour layer. Then I can do the whole hand in one go on the next layer :)

Latest posts

Back