Gelish Top It Off brush is stiff!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNailBarista

Reaction score
I just finished doing a gel polish manicure on a client. I used an OPI Gelcolor, and topped it with a Gelish glitter. Not something I haven't done in the past..... I then used the Gelish Top It Off to finish, did one hand, then when I started applying it to her second hand, the brush from the top coat had totally froze and was stiff. No idea what happened. I bought the top coat a week ago and have been using it no problem. Anyone else experience this?

And as always, stay gorgeous!
TheNailBarista at The Beauty Bar

I just finished doing a gel polish manicure on a client. I used an OPI Gelcolor, and topped it with a Gelish glitter. Not something I haven't done in the past..... I then used the Gelish Top It Off to finish, did one hand, then when I started applying it to her second hand, the brush from the top coat had totally froze and was stiff. No idea what happened. I bought the top coat a week ago and have been using it no problem. Anyone else experience this?

Were you using it near the opening of your lamp? If light is coming from your lamp and it's close, then it will cure your brush?

Or if there's a lot of daylight, I.e. if sat near a window (although you say you've just finished which is now night time in the uk so I assume it's not that lol)

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a problem which I've never heard of, or have ever had happen to me.... My Gelish top it off brush froze completely stiff!?

I just finished up with a customer, I used Gelish Foundation as my base, 2 coats of OPI gel color as the color, and Gelish Top It Off as the top coat. I always use Gelish for my base and top coat, and a mix of different gels for color.

I top coated her first hand, put it in the uv light, and to my surprise, as soon as I started applying the top coat to her second hand, the brush of my top coat was completely frozen stiff.

Now let me remind you guys that I do about 4-6 gel manicures a day and am constantly using different brand name gels for color , and always use Gelish as the top, so it can't be because I mixes brands, this isn't my first rodeo in that area.

Second this is a new top coat that was purchases last week, so I've done tons of manis with it without any problem, so it's also not because it's new and may have a manufacture issue.

Hmmmmmm this is quite strange. Anyone seen this happen!?
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1404952254.801107.jpg

Your brush has cured because it was exposed to UV light. Either you're working too close to your lamp or there is enough sunlight coming in that is causing it.

I have also had this happen, I was doing a nail party on a beautiful day and the only place for me to set up was next to a big window, thought nothing of it until half way through my brush went solid! Still had another 4 girls to do!! Thankfully I always make sure I have 2 topcoat with me incase anything happens but the second one did the same - wasn't till then I realised about the glorious sunshine coming in through the window :-( cleaned brushes out with acetone and have frayed a little but was able to complete the party .... Thankfully :-S

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have also had this happen, I was doing a nail party on a beautiful day and the only place for me to set up was next to a big window, thought nothing of it until half way through my brush went solid! Still had another 4 girls to do!! Thankfully I always make sure I have 2 topcoat with me incase anything happens but the second one did the same - wasn't till then I realised about the glorious sunshine coming in through the window :-( cleaned brushes out with acetone and have frayed a little but was able to complete the party .... Thankfully :-S

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes a few people mentioned the sun light and it makes complete sense. I just moved locations and I'm under a sun roof! Oh boy! No escaping that one. Can you tell me how you cleaned it with the acetone. Did you need to soak it a little?

If you speak to someone at Harmony they'll replace the brush for you, happened to me when I first started out xx

Yes a few people mentioned the sun light and it makes complete sense. I just moved locations and I'm under a sun roof! Oh boy! No escaping that one. Can you tell me how you cleaned it with the acetone. Did you need to soak it a little?

I just soaked the brush in a dappen dish for about 15 minutes then wiped it, I had to use my pointed tweezers to 'brush through' the bristles which helped to pull out any remaining but was not ideal - certainly worth doing as Char1112 suggested and seeing if they will provide a new brush!

I've done this in the past and found that the brush unusable after that
Swap the brush with one from a new bottle ......and stay away from uv light
😀

Latest posts

Back