Getting employed with a VRQ qualification?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbucks88

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im due to be starting my VRQ L2 beauty course in a month, i had intended on the NVQ but was told by the college that the NVQs are being phased out :suprised: Im fine with doing the VRQ its just im unsure if i will be able to get a job as employers are only wanting the NVQ qualification, is this the case or is it just that employers havent caught on to the VRQ yet? im worried i wont be able to get a job as i dont want it to be a waste of time, and i also want to complete my level 3 aswell , would be great if an employer could shed light on this:(

You will get employed...there are no nvq qualifications available in our area at all anymore, courses are changing. VRQ is equivalent So don't worry

Thankyou for replying, i feel more relaxed now looking forward to starting my studies:D xx

Do a search on VRQs on here, should be plenty of info.

Just wording isn't it?
I have. GNVQ (general national vocational qualification) a few NVQ's (national vocational qualification) and my beauty VRQ's (vocationally recognised qualification - hope that's right it's new to me) they all pretty much mean the same thing. An NVQ is a VRQ judging by the fact I have GVNQ I would say they change the letters and the way it's marked/assessed slightly from time to time. Like CSE's and GCSE's? That's my understanding anyway.

As far as im aware, vrq and nvq are both vocational qualifications, which is what is needed to gain employment xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Employment at different levels. VRQ is like preparing yourself for employment I think.

No matter which way people dress it up employers look at them completely differently.

Employment at different levels. VRQ is like preparing yourself for employment I think.

No matter which way people dress it up employers look at them completely differently.

I disagree.

I think most employers are more interested in whether the applicant has the required skills they are looking for. That's why they Trade test.

I might set a baseline qualification to help weed out applicants but I've never employed anyone solely on their qualifications. It's always ability, potential and motivation that counts for me. :D

I disagree.

I think most employers are more interested in whether the applicant has the required skills they are looking for. That's why they Trade test.

I might set a baseline qualification to help weed out applicants but I've never employed anyone solely on their qualifications. It's always ability, potential and motivation that counts for me. :D

I agree but as said on another post if you have 100 CVs you might not even look at the one who's spent a year in college doing VRQ compared to NVQ with salon experience. In an ideal world yes trade test them all but realistically we get a high caliber of CVs anyway we can pick top 5 and trade test them.

So far the NVQ alongside salon experience has always come out best, as they say the proof is in the pudding.

I am hoping to do my VRQ L2 although i did apply to NVQ its just its being phased out:sad: I have also contacted local spas in my area and are starting voluntary work experience next week to help along with my studies, will this be enough to help gain employment? does it matter that im on the VRQ course not NVQ? as i want to progress onto level 3 but not sure what to do :rolleyes:

I agree but as said on another post if you have 100 CVs you might not even look at the one who's spent a year in college doing VRQ compared to NVQ with salon experience. In an ideal world yes trade test them all but realistically we get a high caliber of CVs anyway we can pick top 5 and trade test them.

So far the NVQ alongside salon experience has always come out best, as they say the proof is in the pudding.

Exactly my point. You look for evidence of ability.

Weeding through a huge pile of CV's is daunting, I agree. I used to share the job with at least one other person. However, having an NVQ is no guarantee of a minimum standard. That's why I'm more interested in what else the applicant has to say. What's their work experience, interests etc? Are they ambitious or happy to coast?

I look for a well written CV with basic grammar & spelling. Regardless, when staff write up client notes, I need to be able to read them. That's always part of a trade test. ;-)

If you saw that amateur hairdressing TV show, there were several contestants who had no previous hairdressing qualifications but did have the right aptitude and would be highly employable, in my opinion. I honestly believe you can teach skills to almost anyone but you can't teach aptitude.

I am hoping to do my VRQ L2 although i did apply to NVQ its just its being phased out:sad: I have also contacted local spas in my area and are starting voluntary work experience next week to help along with my studies, will this be enough to help gain employment? does it matter that im on the VRQ course not NVQ? as i want to progress onto level 3 but not sure what to do :rolleyes:
You are beauty student? If so u can progress to level 3 VRQ. This is same as me. In fact you don't have to complete level 3, you can also do private courses of level 3 does not include what u need. You are arill employable.

Latest posts

Back