Given a choice, would you choose self employed or employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-lady

Reaction score
I'm currently at a cross roads. I have been offered an employed position giving me a regular income (not great but OK) or I can rent a room and carry on being self employed.
I will be starting from scratch client wise building myself up again and obviously I won't have a garenteed income. ( I have experience and good skills in what I do)
But with my life commitments the flexibility for childcare is a priority for me.
Employed I will have to work when they say.
I'm so confused given the choice which route would you go down?

If self employed is working for you why change?

We can't really answer the question for you, it's entirely individual. Self employed gives you the freedom to do what you please, employ gives more financial security with sick and holiday pay. Only you know what's important to you and your family.

I agree with Trinity,

Won't you have to work more hours if you are employed to get the same financial gain?
I went down the self employed route when my children were very young and I am still doing it now, so happy I did. My hubbie worked long hours and I did all the childcare and worked at the same time.
Worked well for our family and I have never regretted it.
Only you can decide.
Starting from scratch - client wise will deffo take a while to build them up , It's your decision, so good luck.

Think about what you want 5 and 10 years from now. Where you want to live, dreamboard and think about your lifestyle, family, holidays..

Work backwards and find a way to do it. It helps with these decisions. Whilst self employed can sometimes feel like you are staying in the same place, in client retention over time it does work. An employed job is quick money. But will it get you where you want to be?

Thank you everyone I'm so confused.
I'm my heart I want to stay self employed and build myself up again.
But then the risk of having no regular income does somewhat scare me.. I was lucky in my last place as they provided the clients so I never had to worry. So all this is new to me xx

Latest posts

Back