Google update over 8 billion pages hit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Shaw

Reaction score
Hi Peeps

At the end of Sept/begin Oct Google has done another update which you may or may not be aware of, in total over 8 billion pages have been affected and counting,

The main points are Keyword Rich Domains or Exact Match domains that have been given a right kicking, they are not penalising KRD's EMD's they have just taken any rank juice from them.
What that means is for example say you have a domain name like (will remove the w's & co/uK)

beauty-in-timbucktoo (this is an emd) or Lush-beauty-salon (this is KRD)
you may have been dropped a few places, before you run off and check then you need to be aware that you may get incorrect results due to history/cookies/cache/account, the best way to check your site is use the Private Browsing or Incognito Browsing option, this will give you much better results to see where you stand in the rankings. (Chrome or Firefox is best)

Local companies may not have been affected as much, it is worth a check to see where you are against the competition compared to where you were two weeks ago.

Also I have seen that Google has started to class url dumping in forums, article sites etc etc as spammy, even to the point of signature links in forums, be careful where you are dropping your url for online promotion. And slow down a little if you are, you may get penalised.

I am just having a look if this includes places like Gumtree or an other classified ad's site. Will update once I have an idea.

To be honest it all boils back to Content is King, always has been always will be. And writing in a natural manor and not for a search engine.....This is what Google is concentrating on and boy is the googlebot getting there.

(If you didnt know Google hates SEO companies with a passion, its the White Hat way of doing Black Hat tricks or in other words manipulating a website for search engine results) Like Ruth mentioned in another thread, use common sense when writing, Good Titles, Good Description and Good Content, mentioning your keywords/phrase where they should be mentioned and not trying to stuff them in.

Oh another way to check your site is Analytics, see if you have a strange dip in visitors. Also it may take a few days for Google to get all its indexing back in order so keep checking every couple of days.

Hope this helps and I hope none of you have been attacked by the googlebot. Remember to check in Private/Incognito Browsing

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back