Guidelines for beauty therapists after lockdown?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I’ve been open for a week now in the U.K., providing a full range of treatments avoiding the face area. I have done lots of waxing, a few pedis, one or two manis and some massage.

I’m following U.K. government guidelines - wearing a non fogging, comfortable visor which I can’t see through as clearly as I would like. It’s made of acetate and has a lot of microscopic scratches on which scatter the light - it’s like being in a room which isn’t properly lit. i thought it was just my 50+ eyesight, but my daughter said she couldn’t see through hers properly - so I’m a bit anxious about brow and lash services which are permitted from the 1st August. Apart from visor clarity, my visor doesn’t bother me at all now and I’ve got used to it - although, unfortunately as I’ve adjusted to not being able to see clearly it means I often go into a treatment without my glasses on!

My visor foam gets a bit sweaty, and slips a bit, it’s not too much of an issue as i remove the visor between clients and have 15 minute gaps between treatments. I’ve heard of some therapists cutting gaps in the forehead foam, so I might cut a notch to release hot, moist air. As I have different treatment areas, I can keep the appointment buffer quite slim - but I found that quite stressful on Saturday which was my most complicated day on my own.

For pedis, I’ve learned to angle the visor so I look down into a unshielded space, unimpeded by the visor. For manis, I do the same. It’s still acting as a sneeze shield.

I’m asking my clients to wear masks. Some are coming in with cheap fabric masks which I don’t feel make any difference to my safety, the guidance we’ve received say very clearly that we shouldn’t rely on masks for our safety and I now understand why.

I notice clients seem anxious when I sit in front of them just wearing my apron and visor. I’ve had clients turn their head away during waxing when I’m briefly beside them for armpits or shoulders.

I’ve started to wear a mask for manis. It’s fine and I want my clients to be comfortable. I think I will keep a mask in my apron pocket next week and pop it on during a waxing treatment when I’m near their face for arms, shoulders and armpits. I’ve got a hand sanitiser dispenser in my treatment room, so it’s easy to sanitise my gloved hands before donning a mask.

I can’t wear a mask all treatment though. I notice clients space out a bit when they’re mask wearing and can’t quite catch my instructions, I guess most of us rely on visual prompts and lip read a bit. I’m not bothered by them wearing a mask, I still understand what they are saying.

Im learning as I go, yesterday I let a client in before my previous client had left. I had enough space for social distancing - but the arriving client wasn’t wearing a mask and she fiddled with everything on a manicure desk with unsanitised hands. (She was booked for a pedi). I’d been arranging decals on a chain in colour fade order and she unstrung them and muddled them up. My attention was elsewhere and when I realised it would take me at least an hour to sanitise everything she’d touched and muddled up, I felt upset and I was terse. Actually it wasn’t her fault. She’s a dumb client - she doesn’t think rules and regulations are her responsibility - it’s my job to control her journey through the salon, so that Covid security doesn’t feel intrusive.

I notice clients wearing fancy masks which claim full protection are the worst at following my protocols. I worry we’ll also become slap dash with Covid security if we wear a high spec masks.
All in all it was a good week. My heart is thumping with anxiety at the end of the day, and hurts in my chest even though I dont feel consciously stressed - but getting some money in to pay my mounting bills is such a relief. It’s been good to get back to work and great to chat to clients. So far it’s the anxious ladies that have come in - pregnant, older and medically trained. It’s been an honour to be trusted with their health.

So I’ve been open for a week now in the U.K., providing a full range of treatments avoiding the face area. I have done lots of waxing, a few pedis, one or two manis and some massage.

I’m following U.K. government guidelines - wearing a non fogging, comfortable visor which I can’t see through as clearly as I would like. It’s made of acetate and has a lot of microscopic scratches on which scatter the light - it’s like being in a room which isn’t properly lit. i thought it was just my 50+ eyesight, but my daughter said she couldn’t see through hers properly - so I’m a bit anxious about brow and lash services which are permitted from the 1st August. Apart from visor clarity, my visor doesn’t bother me at all now and I’ve got used to it - although, unfortunately as I’ve adjusted to not being able to see clearly it means I often go into a treatment without my glasses on!

My visor foam gets a bit sweaty, and slips a bit, it’s not too much of an issue as i remove the visor between clients and have 15 minute gaps between treatments. I’ve heard of some therapists cutting gaps in the forehead foam, so I might cut a notch to release hot, moist air. As I have different treatment areas, I can keep the appointment buffer quite slim - but I found that quite stressful on Saturday which was my most complicated day on my own.

For pedis, I’ve learned to angle the visor so I look down into a unshielded space, unimpeded by the visor. For manis, I do the same. It’s still acting as a sneeze shield.

I’m asking my clients to wear masks. Some are coming in with cheap fabric masks which I don’t feel make any difference to my safety, the guidance we’ve received say very clearly that we shouldn’t rely on masks for our safety and I now understand why.

I notice clients seem anxious when I sit in front of them just wearing my apron and visor. I’ve had clients turn their head away during waxing when I’m briefly beside them for armpits or shoulders.

I’ve started to wear a mask for manis. It’s fine and I want my clients to be comfortable. I think I will keep a mask in my apron pocket next week and pop it on during a waxing treatment when I’m near their face for arms, shoulders and armpits. I’ve got a hand sanitiser dispenser in my treatment room, so it’s easy to sanitise my gloved hands before donning a mask.

I can’t wear a mask all treatment though. I notice clients space out a bit when they’re mask wearing and can’t quite catch my instructions, I guess most of us rely on visual prompts and lip read a bit. I’m not bothered by them wearing a mask, I still understand what they are saying.

Im learning as I go, yesterday I let a client in before my previous client had left. I had enough space for social distancing - but the arriving client wasn’t wearing a mask and she fiddled with everything on a manicure desk with unsanitised hands. (She was booked for a pedi). I’d been arranging decals on a chain in colour fade order and she unstrung them and muddled them up. My attention was elsewhere and when I realised it would take me at least an hour to sanitise everything she’d touched and muddled up, I felt upset and I was terse. Actually it wasn’t her fault. She’s a dumb client - she doesn’t think rules and regulations are her responsibility - it’s my job to control her journey through the salon, so that Covid security doesn’t feel intrusive.

I notice clients wearing fancy masks which claim full protection are the worst at following my protocols. I worry we’ll also become slap dash with Covid security if we wear a high spec masks.
All in all it was a good week. My heart is thumping with anxiety at the end of the day, and hurts in my chest even though I dont feel consciously stressed - but getting some money in to pay my mounting bills is such a relief. It’s been good to get back to work and great to chat to clients. So far it’s the anxious ladies that have come in - pregnant, older and medically trained. It’s been an honour to be trusted with their health.
Thanks for this reply Duchess - again, its a very helpful one. We still haven't started back here yet so its really good to get a clear walk through on how things have been for you. I might get a call to say go in tomorrow -who knows? I'm no longer my own boss so I can't decide for myself when to start back and what treatments to offer - I'm sort of at the mercy of the company I work for. I'm dreading it but I'll try it.

On a separate note with you being self employed - I've heard a few therapists talk about needing to get back to work due to financial issues. I don't know your situation and I'm not asking to, but I just wanted to check you're aware you can get the £10,000 grant (not to be paid back) from the government? My sister is still self employed (I sold my salon last year so I don't qualify) and she was told by another self employed person to apply for the govt help of £10,000 for all self employed persons. She hadn't heard of it and thought she wouldn't get it but she applied anyway and she got it. It's taken a huge pressure off her. Just mentioning in case you weren't aware of it. All the best x

Thanks for this reply Duchess - again, its a very helpful one. We still haven't started back here yet so its really good to get a clear walk through on how things have been for you. I might get a call to say go in tomorrow -who knows? I'm no longer my own boss so I can't decide for myself when to start back and what treatments to offer - I'm sort of at the mercy of the company I work for. I'm dreading it but I'll try it.

On a separate note with you being self employed - I've heard a few therapists talk about needing to get back to work due to financial issues. I don't know your situation and I'm not asking to, but I just wanted to check you're aware you can get the £10,000 grant (not to be paid back) from the government? My sister is still self employed (I sold my salon last year so I don't qualify) and she was told by another self employed person to apply for the govt help of £10,000 for all self employed persons. She hadn't heard of it and thought she wouldn't get it but she applied anyway and she got it. It's taken a huge pressure off her. Just mentioning in case you weren't aware of it. All the best x

For the grant do you have to be in a salon? I have a home salon, figured I wouldn’t qualify.
I have actually bought a salon I started it at the beginning of lockdown but they lady who still owned it was entitled to claim as it was her business x think we missed out both ways[emoji849][emoji848]

Thanks Tinkerbell.

There is a grant payable for those with a business rates bill - even if you qualify for 100% off your rates bill.

if you rent premises, and have a lease agreement there are discretionary grants available. Councils are distributing these and they make the rules. My local council is aiming to support people who have property related expenses rather than lost earnings issues.

I have an expensive salon, I’ve noticed a few smaller set ups have spent lockdown preparing with a lovely refurbishment and an investment in new products and equipment. I’ve had a bit of a wake up call about my alarming overheads. Of course no one imagines that they won’t earn anything, and as I employ staff, even if I go under a bus there should normally be some money coming in, so this situation is unique. My grant doesn’t even cover my rent and my landlord - the Council will not give any tenants a rent reduction as they say they can’t afford to.

A lovely independant day Spa folded at the beginning of the month. I should pull through, but I’m not out of the woods yet.

Hi there, would you be able to post the link to the free guide please?

Wouldn’t that be called discrimination against anyone with a health condition? Be careful with that. Shielding stops on 1st August in eyes of the law so would leave you liable for discrimination.

For the grant do you have to be in a salon? I have a home salon, figured I wouldn’t qualify.
I have actually bought a salon I started it at the beginning of lockdown but they lady who still owned it was entitled to claim as it was her business x think we missed out both ways[emoji849][emoji848]
Hi Katmoz, it's as The Duchess states below - its for anyone who can prove they've been running a business (even if you work from home and don't have to pay business rates - so long as your business has been running and you've been getting the business rates letters, you just need the proof of the letters that states you're a business). Hope that helps. X

Thanks Tinkerbell.

There is a grant payable for those with a business rates bill - even if you qualify for 100% off your rates bill.

if you rent premises, and have a lease agreement there are discretionary grants available. Councils are distributing these and they make the rules. My local council is aiming to support people who have property related expenses rather than lost earnings issues.

I have an expensive salon, I’ve noticed a few smaller set ups have spent lockdown preparing with a lovely refurbishment and an investment in new products and equipment. I’ve had a bit of a wake up call about my alarming overheads. Of course no one imagines that they won’t earn anything, and as I employ staff, even if I go under a bus there should normally be some money coming in, so this situation is unique. My grant doesn’t even cover my rent and my landlord - the Council will not give any tenants a rent reduction as they say they can’t afford to.

A lovely independant day Spa folded at the beginning of the month. I should pull through, but I’m not out of the woods yet.
Ouch, that's a daunting position to be in Duchess! Fingers crossed you pull through and come out the other end stronger X

Latest posts

Back