Hair colouring advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topcat

Reaction score
Hi, can someone please advise me, my mum is recovering from cancer and asked me about colouring her hair. She has had radiotherapy about 6 weeks ago and will be starting a low dosage of chemo( she will not lose her hair) in the next couple of weeks for 6 months, she wants to have her hair coloured but we are not sure if the treatment she's had will affect the colour and would it be best to colour her before the chemo starts or will it not matter???
Can I just add that she intends to have her hair done at the salon, but ir reluctant to talk to them about it as she has tried to keep her illness undeer wraps.

Last edited:
best advice i have for you and your mum hun is this.
dont use a box dye...usually hair and the skin is weaker after an illness, prescriptive medication. radiotherapy and chemo......the chemical in dyes ppd (paraphenylenediamene) may cause a reaction to both skin and hair.....
my advice is there a local technical college near you both.......if there is a book an appointment where the students and tutors...will give your mum a skin test and be able to do a strand test and offer the best course of action for your mum.
or if you have a hairdresser that you use or any hairdresser they should be able to offer you advice.........
it is usually advicebale to wait six months after chemo, but unsure before, but again if your mum has been on mediation and has had radiotherapy i would seek professional help and not try and do your mums hair using a box dye

Thanks for the advice Joanne... I will suggest the college as we have one locally and I know the do the strand test. :lol:

Latest posts

Back