Hair extensions and insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkglitter-x

Reaction score
Do you have to be certified to receive insurance? Can you perform this service with insurance?

Been looking for an extension tech and I messaged this woman and asked about the hair supplier and if she was certified (being a hair geek) she said shes not certified? But has done training with somebody (a friend or someone unaccredited, or never qualified a training course obviously) so can they be insured?

She was totally cool about it but I wouldnt offer extensions without doing it via an accredited training course to get sufficient training and certified....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't know any company that would insure you with uncertified qualifications as that means it could be any Tom dick or Harry that's taught you, good for you for questioning her x

You need to have attended an accredited course to be able to gain insurance.

No course = no insurance.

Xx

ABT wanted every single certificate for each of my 6 methods and my advanced cutting one to even add it to my insurance.

Jumping in as my next query was similar, I trained with connect 2 from home & westminster indemnity will offer me insurance 1mil, 2mil or 5mil ..
I too know someone who's never had training but done extensions on people for years, now suddenly offering nano rings. No qualification yet wants to open her own room at home to do them, surely she shouldn't? x

Jumping in as my next query was similar, I trained with connect 2 from home & westminster indemnity will offer me insurance 1mil, 2mil or 5mil ..
I too know someone who's never had training but done extensions on people for years, now suddenly offering nano rings. No qualification yet wants to open her own room at home to do them, surely she shouldn't? x

She shouldn't, but she can. There are no rules or regs to stop anyone performing hair or beauty services without training and insurance.

Until the industry as a whole is regulated any Tom,Dick and Harry can set up without qualifications and watch a few youtube videos and let loose on the public.

So this people do it at a risk? Because if it goes wrong how can you claim against them??! Seems abit too dodgy for my liking

So this people do it at a risk? Because if it goes wrong how can you claim against them??! Seems abit too dodgy for my liking

If anything goes wrong you take them through court. You can sue them if they havent gone through the proper channels of training and insurance.

People chance it, it looks easy and they think nothing will go wrong. They are in it for fast bucks because if they were serious about a career and a successful business they wouldn't risk it. Most of the people I come across are people who do treatments cheap, £5 nails/£70 Hair extensions /£10 highlights and so on. They have no intention of being legit.

I wouldn't worry. People soon realise and they will fade away into the background then another pops up. Like I said before, until the hair and beauty industry is regulated it will continue in this way and decline.

Don't mean to sound bad but reading your post you made, you clearly shouldn't be qualified to fit extensions on clients after completing a home learning course. That's not your fault it's connect 2 hairs fault.

I know you've said you can get insurance with that company, but check again with them. Some places won't cover distance learning qualifications.

If there not qualified I hope she tells her clients this, my friends not qualified in micro rings but she knows how to do them she doesn't do them regularly just on friends but they know shes not qualified and not insured so always make sure you let the client know before you do any treatments on her if your not then it will be her choice if she goes ahead with it.

Well i think its shocking how many people arent certified. I think many clients dont actually ask but assume they are fully qualified... I have done friends hair extensions before because i used to do mine but they didnt care i wasnt certified... People want the cheapest price... Get what you pay for in the hair/beauty industry... Ha

Latest posts

Back