Hair extensions- how much money is in it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlmb21

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm thinking long and hard about completing a hair extension course with savings.

Firstly, is it worth it? If I want to attend a high quality course it's going to cost a fair bit, I know I will thoroughly enjoy it and will enjoy working with clients having extensions afterwards and I also know that how good you are effect client quantity. I'm just worried that it won't take off as a business?

Secondly, would you start out with any particular special offers or a lower price to grab potential clients attention? I don't want to seem cheap but I wouldn't expect people to want to part with their money if I was newly qualified.

Xx

Hair extension has become one of the biggest trend with an estimated revenue to be made in the UK of 60 million from both salons and hair sales. With that said it would be worth taking a course because this is a growing area and there is a lot of money to be made. Offering discounts is always a good way to welcome and promote your business but you don't want to go too cheap so people think you're not too good. You can offer a mobile service where you go to people home to do their hair. Free consultation is pretty standard in this area. You can advertise your service on gumtree, oodle, create a Facebook page, twitter, do a blog just find ways to get creative with your marketing. You can even do video put then YouTube of your work and also showing how the hair is attached. Really hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also instead of going too cheap maybe you can offering free retouch within 4-6 weeks depending in the hair condition at that time just to build confidence in your service and build up a client base. And oh don't forget to be friendly !

Thank you :)

This has really helped a lot. I really wanted to complete a good course and just go for it but as I'm sure you know it's difficult to take the plunge and actually put everything in to it.

Things have been hard for my family and me over the past year and I know I need to do something about those dreams and aspirations I have and really make something of myself for the kids, my partner & myself :)

Again, thanks for your help

Xx

im in the same position, i really want to do the balmain course as thats what my workplace stocks and offers but when asked my boss and the stylists they said dont bother theres no money in it so not sure anymore :-\ x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

All I can say to you is order decent extensions and make sure you are not working for peanuts.

I charge dependant on the amount of hair extensions they have in as it is different for fine to thick hair. Work out what you would normally want to earn per hour and dont cut it. Extensions are hard work and tiring, I have 2 sets to do and I wont do them on the same day or even next days, I need a break but mainly due to my RSI.

Good luck and yes there is money to be made, I insist on a deposit usually to cover the cost of the stock so that I dont have to pay out before earning.

Dont rely on extensions for a wage though, they should be offered as an additional service as people just dont have the money anymore so its hard to get the clients. Do a couple of friends for your advertising, my apprentice has hers done free which is a good show case for our work. Her friends have gone elsewhere cheaper but the work is shoddy and they fall out and/or damage the hair. You get what you pay for but I am not greedy, we have a salon near us charging double what I do.

Fine line!

It took me about a year to commit to doing a hair extension course ,but im glad I have now ,yes there is money to been made its a good addition to your hairdressing ,i only do about one set a week which is fine for me I work full time doing hair and some beauty ,been hairdressing 15 year's ,but as others have said set your prices at the rate you want to be payed :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back