Hair extensions, new career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redshelle

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the site but wanted to get some friendly advice!

I am a stay at home mum of 5 looking to start a new career.
I LOVE hair, have worn extensions on and off for years and just recently found the right method (tape ins) that suit me but I got me thinking what if!

So obv I am new to this, it's just a dream at the moment but my plan is as follows, what do you think?

Do as much research as possible, need to look at all the types and qualities of hair available to offer potential clients, Check out other local companies offering extensions.
I would like to train in tape ins and well as micro rings initially.
Train with Oakley? Seem to have good reviews and fairly near to me.
I am also thinking of doing a hairdressing course so I have as much confidence as possible with blending the extensions and possibly custom colouring etc.
Once I have done all that I will hopfully find some willing models (discounted price) and slowly build up a portfolio and client base.

Any extra tips or advice would be greatly recieved.

Thanks
Shelle

Hello Redshelle and welcome to SG.

Everyone and their cousin seems to be doing hair extensions from home these days and clients often think ‘that looks easy, I can do that and earn a good income’ but they don’t factor in the cost of training or the costs of running a business; tax, NI, business insurance, advertising, etc.

Therefore, I’d strongly recommend if you’re thinking of developing your career in hairdressing, you consider completing a recognised NVQ/VRQ level 2 or equivalent course via your local college or Hairdressing Academy. Once you have the basics mastered, you’ll be able to look for paid employment or work from home but you won’t be limited to just fitting hair extensions. You’ll be able to offer cutting, colouring, straightening, perming etc.

I would also caution against doing any intensive short cutting courses because you’re unlikely to learn enough to be competent to deal with clients when working on your own. There’s a reason why hairdressing used to be an apprenticeship only programme taking several years to complete!

I completed my level 2 and 3 via Fasttrack programmes through my local college but it took a while to gain enough experience to go it alone. Also, beware that a high proportion of students who successfully complete their level 2 struggle to find work in the industry and end up working in other fields.

It’s a big commitment in terms of time and money so as the Brownies say, be prepared!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Thank you!
I was thinking of doing the level 2 and then 3 in hairdressing at my local college but when I spoke to my hairdresser she said that most salons don't accept people straight from college and expect experience, sadly because I'm in my 30s finding a salon to take me on as a trainee has proven impossible so far.
I will keep on researching!

Thanks again for the advice :)

I have no words of wisdom for you just yet. Hopefully I will soon as I’m embarking on my hair extension journey very soon. I have my initial training next Monday.

I don’t wear hair extensions and never have. So I have very little experience with them.
Nor am I a trained hairdresser.

I am a bridal hair & makeup artist so my training in hair is in hair styling/updos/blow drys etc.
I’ve witnessed very poor hair extensions along the way. Which is why I have chosen to train in extensions.
I hope to add it as an additional service for a better experience for my Brides, but if nothing else I will come away more educated.

I love doing hair styling though so I’m hoping that I connect with the extension side of things too
Good luck on your journey @Redshelle

Hi thanks for the reply.
How do you find working in Bridal? How did you go about training in bridal hair and makeup? Sounds like a very rewarding career.

I wish you all the luck with your hair extension training, having worn extensions I would say that it can be very trial and error in what method suits your particular client however with brides I would maybe assume that temporary hair extensions would be popular, I have the tape ones at the moment, they are fab, most comfortable I've ever tried and I would think they would be popular with brides :)

I qualified in level 2 & 3 makeup artistry back in 2001 which also included hair/session styling.
I’ve worked full time in the industry ever since.
My experience varies quite a bit. I travelled both nationally & globally and represented some big cosmetic brands.
I spent many years in studios doing hair & makeup for commercial photo shoots as well as music videos which were a lot of fun. I also did makeup for runways too aswell as body painting back in the day.
Since starting a family almost 8 years ago I made the shift to focus more on my Brides & commercial beauty as I just love love love beauty makeup. This is where my passion lies to enhance ones natural beauty. With the transition into focusing on Bridal I found the demand for bridal hair increased too. So I’ve done several bridal hair courses over the years past few years to try and keep up with the changing trends. I do love working with Brides. But no so much the bad extensions both of my children are at school now too so I really need to look at filling my weekdays up more and pull back a little on the weekends if I can xx

Latest posts

Back