Hair extensions on a pregnant lady?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairgeek112233

Reaction score
Would you guys fit extensions on a pregnant woman? I am swaying on the no side but i wanted to know your opinions? Xxx

P.s i said no because of hormone levels and change in hair can cause weakness and i wouldn't want to be responsible

I don't do extensions but I know when I was pregnant my hair was falling out in clumps so it would of been no end of trouble for me. Go with your gut instinct xx

Depends on the person, they say when you've had a baby you loose hair for a while but while there pregnant I can't see there been a problem as long as there hairs ok which you would consultation before hand anyways xx

From my understanding, they advise not to on pregnant ladies due to faster hair growth, which in turn would mean more maintenance appointments than the norm. (Advised not to fit on new mothers due to shedding lots of hair). A good friend of mine is pregnant and wants extensions fitted. I've advised her it would mean more maintenance appointments (though each person is different. My hair didn't seem to grow at all when I was pregnant). Plus also that having extensions requires excellent aftercare from the client, and that they could struggle to find time to blow dry their hair for example (mine takes 45 mins. Gah!) Those 45 mins could be spent napping!

I wouldn't do it, in my training they said never fit extensions to pregnant women or women who have recently had a baby xx

If you have a google, OP, you'll see there's mixed advice. So would say it's down to you as a hair extensionist.

I do them after 3 months, as this is when hormones settle down. I currently have them in my hair and i am 6 months pregnant. My hair still sheds like absolute crazy. I make my ladies sign a separate disclaimer to say they understand the differences and are happy to continue. Everyone is different in pregnancy so I dont think its right for me to make the call, I explain all the implications for the client and let them decide x

When I done my training course my live model was pregnant, my trainer didn't mention anything and they provided the model, I'm sure she was over 3 months though. But this is also something I'd like to know if I ever came across this. That's a good idea about an extra consultation form for pregnancy. I wore extensions throughout my two pregnancys myself xx

I think as long as you make your client aware that they may not last as long and they may lose more then normal then it's up to them. I haven't found any problems with doing my clients whilst pregnant, it's more after birth when they lose more hair.

It's interesting that none of you have checked with your insurers for their advice?

It's interesting that none of you have checked with your insurers for their advice?

My insurers say with something like pregnancy, everyone is different so if I am happy to go ahead, as long as the client is prepared to sign a disclaimer its their call.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Insurers will generally say mixed things, everyone is different during pregnancy and I will never fit in the first trimester and always check how their hair is.

I also never fit on new mothers until at least 6 months has passed and never on breast feeding mums.

They would also need to remove extensions before giving birth. Some ladies will lose masses of hair, others will lose non until after they have had the baby, you need a really thorough consultation.

Insurers will generally say mixed things, everyone is different during pregnancy and I will never fit in the first trimester and always check how their hair is.

I also never fit on new mothers until at least 6 months has passed and never on breast feeding mums.

They would also need to remove extensions before giving birth. Some ladies will lose masses of hair, others will lose non until after they have had the baby, you need a really thorough consultation.

Why do they need to remove before giving birth? Intirgued! I didn't the first time round and I wont this time....labour ruins the bottom half of me, not my hair!
Is it just an insurance thing? x

Why do they need to remove before giving birth? Intirgued! I didn't the first time round and I wont this time....labour ruins the bottom half of me, not my hair!
Is it just an insurance thing? x

Because of the hair loss that starts pretty much straight after pregnancy - i advise it because you can never tell how quickly the hair loss will start!

My little one is now 1. And to be honest I never lost hair until around 8 months and I lost it dramatically. All through pregnancy my hair was amazing. And up until 8 months post .. It really is different in all cases x

Because of the hair loss that starts pretty much straight after pregnancy - i advise it because you can never tell how quickly the hair loss will start!

Hair doesn't tend to shed until about 3-4 months in (generally). Mine was when my son was about 5/6 months, but wasn't a drastic amount. So really does depend on the individual, and down to the Extensionist to decide if they do or don't fit on pregnant women.

Don't get me wrong, Im not saying there is a general rule of thumb, we are all different, I never lost a single hair more than normal through my pregnancies but I have friends that had receding hairlines and hair falling out within days of giving birth. Because of this, I cover my own ass ;)

Thanks everyone well as i say i decided against as id hate for anything to happen as i am a worrier and i would hate for a woman to come and say her hair fell out but from reading this im sure the lady will find someone who is willing was just nice to be able to see what all you other professionals would do xxx

Latest posts

Back