Hair extensions-teaching it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyDye

Reaction score
hi
I have been hairdressing for 17 years now, qualified up to level 4 salon management. I also hold a teaching qualification and have been teaching hairdressing for over 10 years. i have a salon and i teach from my salon as a subcontractor for a training provider. however, i wish to offer private courses. I am looking to gain my own accreditation but i always get asked if i can teach hair extensions. I currently carry out hair extension services in my salon and am covered to do so with my insurance company.
my question is; can i offer hair extension courses to people on a private basis with the qualifications that i have currently? and brand them as maybe a workshop? or better still can i deign a certificate and give all who complete? would they then get insured once they have complete the course or does it have to be accredited?

thanks guys!

For insurance puposes any course you offer needs to be accredited, by a body such as habia, abt, babtac etc
In regards to hair extensions insurance companies are very strict on covering the service now, they will not cover unaccredited training and most wont cover non hairdressers either. this stems from alot of claims a few years ago from people who had attended 1 day courses in up to 6 different methods with barly if any underpinning knowledge and no assessments on actual clients only training heads.
To get your course accredited you must have the relevant qualifications, as must anyone else you register to deliver the course, all the course material inc schemes of work, lesson plans, assessment and grading criteria needs submitting to your chosen body to assess its suitable for accreditation. It is a lengthy and expensive process ( I know as i did it for a training company I was the principal of before going freelance) but the only option if you want to be a reputable training provider.

that is an excellent answer, thanks a billion :)

Latest posts

Back