Hair extensions - worth taking the course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASHlouisee

Reaction score
I just lately had some glue-in hair extensions put in, which i love! I've always been interested in getting a extensions qualification, but have never seen anywhere close that does the courses. They do the course's where I've just had my extensions done, the course's are around £900 (including kit) for individual glue extensions, and £300 for both micro-bond and weave extensions. I'm really interested in taking the course, I was just curious of whether that is a good price? I don't want to get ripped off! Also would you say it's worth getting into doing extensions, do any of you make a lot of profit from them? I currently just do acrylic nail extensions but I have a lot of friends and people in the area who all want or have hair extensions.
also which are more popular, glue, weave or micro bond? I eventually want to qualify for all of them but don't know which one to choose to get me started off with it being a bit pricey! any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!! thank you :)x

If you're looking at hair extension training - really do your homework. You should attend a course that is at least Habia approved. There is no qualification available (unless your a hairdress you can take this as part of your level 3).
There are lots of threads you can search on here discussing hair extension training - i think the course you're looking at does sound slightly overpriced in comparison to others. Make sure you speak to the training companies, ask as many questions as you can to make sure you've covered the best options. My advice would be to master one or two techniques to begin with, then when you have more experience add to your skills. I trained with Lush-Us years ago, they were great, but have also attended many other courses to add on over the years. Good Luck xx

Definitely do your homework. I trained with Balmain at my local cash & varry and it only cost £280 including the kit. There are a lot of more expensive ones and cheaper ones out there, but go for someone who offers a good support after the training as you allways need advice.

Definitely do your homework. I trained with Balmain at my local cash & varry and it only cost £280 including the kit. There are a lot of more expensive ones and cheaper ones out there, but go for someone who offers a good support after the training as you allways need advice.

Stephie how did you find your course with balmain? My local suppliers do balmain courses and was interested in doing one but wasn't sure what there like, would you recommend them and also which is the most popular method? Xx

Stephie how did you find your course with balmain? My local suppliers do balmain courses and was interested in doing one but wasn't sure what there like, would you recommend them and also which is the most popular method? Xx

I've done a balmain pre bonded course at capital. I just called Balmain direct and they told me where and when my nearest course was running but you can look on their website as well for some dates. i thought the course was really good, i learnt alot so would recommend.

I've tried quite a few courses and Balmain were definitely number one more being most thorough, but the will only train you if you are a hairdresser or involved in the industry.

Oh great I was thinking of adding hair extensions to my salon as they seem to be getting very popular, how many on average do you geeks say you'd probably do say in a month? Xx

I do about 3/4 full heads a week, but you need to work hard at building up a good client base. Good work and good hair. It's the most profitable part of my business.

I do about 3/4 full heads a week, but you need to work hard at building up a good client base. Good work and good hair. It's the most profitable part of my business.

Oh that's really good, i wanted to start doing them but not sure where to start really as I don't know which methods are most popular and do these balmain courses teach you one method or a few methods in one training session? Sorry for all the questions I've just noticed that you seem to write quite abit about extensions ;) xxx

That's cause I love them. I worked originally with monofibre, but more and more of my customers wanted Human Hair. I tried 2 or 3 different companies before trainining on prebonded extensions with balmain which I just find the easiest and best to work with.

It is really down to personal choice. I know many hairdressers who prefer rings or loose hair, I just prefer prebonded. My only big advice is dont go for cheap. you are just wastimng your time and money.

That's cause I love them. I worked originally with monofibre, but more and more of my customers wanted Human Hair. I tried 2 or 3 different companies before trainining on prebonded extensions with balmain which I just find the easiest and best to work with.

It is really down to personal choice. I know many hairdressers who prefer rings or loose hair, I just prefer prebonded. My only big advice is dont go for cheap. you are just wastimng your time and money.

Ok thanks Stephie yeah I've seen alot of posts on here asking about where to get cheaper hair extensions from I believe you get what you pay for and clients would probably prefer to pay abit more for better quality hair. Xxx

I just lately had some glue-in hair extensions put in, which i love! I've always been interested in getting a extensions qualification, but have never seen anywhere close that does the courses. They do the course's where I've just had my extensions done, the course's are around £900 (including kit) for individual glue extensions, and £300 for both micro-bond and weave extensions. I'm really interested in taking the course, I was just curious of whether that is a good price? I don't want to get ripped off! Also would you say it's worth getting into doing extensions, do any of you make a lot of profit from them? I currently just do acrylic nail extensions but I have a lot of friends and people in the area who all want or have hair extensions.
also which are more popular, glue, weave or micro bond? I eventually want to qualify for all of them but don't know which one to choose to get me started off with it being a bit pricey! any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!! thank you :)x

thought i'd reply to this with some personal experience/advice.i trained with belle hair extensions (found them on the Habia website) and learned the micro fusion pre bonded and micro rings and now working mobile, the profit im making is like £150/£200 per client after u take out the cost of hair.fusion bonds are really popular because they last for ages but the rings are equally as popular.make sure the course you do chose comes with a kit aswell and is insurance approved (highly important) best of luck xxx:hug:

wow this is really helpfull,
Im a hair and makeup artist and EE trained and i have been trying to find as much info as poss to make the right decision on which course to do. i was thinking of either doing cinderella, tasha jacks or great lengths.
can i ask extension experts which they prefer for training and for the hair quality.
I would want to offer the best to my clients as i live in a good area where people will pay good money for the best.
Thanku.x

thought i'd reply to this with some personal experience/advice.i trained with belle hair extensions (found them on the Habia website) and learned the micro fusion pre bonded and micro rings and now working mobile, the profit im making is like £150/£200 per client after u take out the cost of hair.fusion bonds are really popular because they last for ages but the rings are equally as popular.make sure the course you do chose comes with a kit aswell and is insurance approved (highly important) best of luck xxx:hug:

Hi, I just wondered if you are making that much profit per customer- how much are you paying for your hair and which hair is the best for you :)

Micro rings are very easy to fit and learn and customers give very good feedback on this method.

I agree with Stephanie (many horror stories about poor service), your client base is built on recommendations so buy great hair and give the appropriate amount of time to your client.
Micro loops are great to start out with, they are so easy to put in that even non-experts are doing it themselves. Don't be disheartened by that though, the same applies for at home hair dyes and it hasn't affected my sales yet! :) I can't recommend a course as I live in Scotland, but what I will say is that when I was picking my extension course I cringed at some of the prices of the places you know are good, but there is a reason why they are quite pricey.

I hope you get a discount or a good friend can recommend somewhere for you. Why not phone a few good salons in your area and pretend you want them done and say, where were your staff trained for this? maybe get some answers that way.

Latest posts

Back