Hair feels awful after olaplex no3

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiemc22

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm really concerned. I've been a hairdresser for 7 years and in that time I have heard so many other stylists recommend olaplex. I've never used it on clients (no reason really just never felt the need) but I've always recommended to them as I've heard so many good reviews. My hair is a level 4 natural, balayage of a level 8. No huge damage but the sort of damage you'd naturally expect with bleach, a little stretchier and drier. I've had the same stylist and same colour for 3 years. Anyway, I thought my hair could do with some repairing so I purchased the no3 mask from capitals. I've used it 3 times, every other 2 washes... My hair feels WORSE. It's brittle, like the dreaded over processed brittle where I just know I'm going to lose more and more hair. It is drier, crisper, and to tell the truth I'm really upset and anxious about it. What an earth has gone on here?! And I haven't changed a single thing in my routine other than olaplex. For reference I use goldwell just smooth shampoo and matrix brass off conditioner. SEND HELP!

Hi all, I'm really concerned. I've been a hairdresser for 7 years and in that time I have heard so many other stylists recommend olaplex. I've never used it on clients (no reason really just never felt the need) but I've always recommended to them as I've heard so many good reviews. My hair is a level 4 natural, balayage of a level 8. No huge damage but the sort of damage you'd naturally expect with bleach, a little stretchier and drier. I've had the same stylist and same colour for 3 years. Anyway, I thought my hair could do with some repairing so I purchased the no3 mask from capitals. I've used it 3 times, every other 2 washes... My hair feels WORSE. It's brittle, like the dreaded over processed brittle where I just know I'm going to lose more and more hair. It is drier, crisper, and to tell the truth I'm really upset and anxious about it. What an earth has gone on here?! And I haven't changed a single thing in my routine other than olaplex. For reference I use goldwell just smooth shampoo and matrix brass off conditioner. SEND HELP!
The Olaplex 3 is generally seen as a maintenance product. It has Olaplex but in a much lower concentration. Its very strange for the hair to go crispy after Olaplex.
I would suggest you stop using it. Try a cleansing shampoo on your hair to see if this removes the new / strange texture. Then use a moisture mask to restore elasticity.
Olaplex 3 is supposed to be used no more than once a week, unless the hair is extremely compromised and the it can be used more often.
Just checking - how long did you leave it in for and did you shampoo it out and condition after wards?

The Olaplex 3 is generally seen as a maintenance product. It has Olaplex but in a much lower concentration. Its very strange for the hair to go crispy after Olaplex.
I would suggest you stop using it. Try a cleansing shampoo on your hair to see if this removes the new / strange texture. Then use a moisture mask to restore elasticity.
Olaplex 3 is supposed to be used no more than once a week, unless the hair is extremely compromised and the it can be used more often.
Just checking - how long did you leave it in for and did you shampoo it out and condition after wards?

Honestly it was so strange! It seems to feel sightly better now I've used a moisture mask on it. Maybe my hair didn't need the protein and it needed moisture instead, who knows! I did shampoo and condition after yes. I'm going to lend it to a friend and see if she has better luck with it.

Hi guys!
This is my first time posting on here. I just have to join in as I feel my hair has been badly affected by Olaplex. I went to a very expensive salon for a few red low lights. I had bleach used with foils left for 40 mins, then toner, then Olaplex for 30 mins with the stylist continually stroking & flattening my hair ( which I did find annoying) Afterwards, my hair was dull, straight & felt like cotton wool. That was September. I have gone from having very shiny full hair to extremely straight dull hair. It will not hold a curl for more than 30 mins. I was advised to use declarifying shampoo which has definitely helped as it’s brought the shine back, but still feels thin & flyaway. Any ideas on getting my bounce back will be gratefully received! Thank you in anticipation😊

Hi guys!
This is my first time posting on here. I just have to join in as I feel my hair has been badly affected by Olaplex. I went to a very expensive salon for a few red low lights. I had bleach used with foils left for 40 mins, then toner, then Olaplex for 30 mins with the stylist continually stroking & flattening my hair ( which I did find annoying) Afterwards, my hair was dull, straight & felt like cotton wool. That was September. I have gone from having very shiny full hair to extremely straight dull hair. It will not hold a curl for more than 30 mins. I was advised to use declarifying shampoo which has definitely helped as it’s brought the shine back, but still feels thin & flyaway. Any ideas on getting my bounce back will be gratefully received! Thank you in anticipation😊
Olaplex isn't supposed to change your hair really, it's strange that it's left it straight.
Do you think there's a chance the bleach has contributed to this straightness?
I have curly hair, and I know when I lighten it, it doesn't curl like it does when it untouched.

Olaplex mimics the hairs natural disulphide bonds, so this will also mean it will break down the same way as your natural disulphide bonds. Anything that's left by now has probably more to do with the colour than the Olaplex.
I used to use Olaplex religiously and never had these kind of issues. The only way I know you can start to break it down would be cleansing shampoo, malibu c Malibu Makeover ( amazing stuff) or you can do an apple cider vinegar rinse.

Thank you so much for the reply. I did use Vinegar (malt!) rinses after every wash for a while, as that’s what I used to do in my younger days, I think it definitely helped with the shine. I’ll definitely try the Malibu. The Stylist only put a few bleached stands starting at the temple going all the way round horizontally, then from forehead to crown. She said she’d only used 4% developer. It was very light though- not what I or she was expecting! Of course the toner she’d put on came off with all the clarifying shampoo! Oh well - at least eventually it will grow out..Thanks again 🙂

Latest posts

Back