Hair Geeks, where have you gone? Please come back.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shame, we need the help of the experienced as unfortunately it takes a lot of time to weed out the 'uneducated' answers and all the 'newbies' may not realise that the advice given is less than correct.

Shame, we need the help of the experienced as unfortunately it takes a lot of time to weed out the 'uneducated' answers and all the 'newbies' may not realise that the advice given is less than correct.

Doesn't it just!

Its funny being a newbie I have only posted one question and got a lovely reply but I do read other threads such as this one talking about newbies posting silly questions. It definitely puts me off looking for advice, as maybe my questions are too basic. I understand about repetitive questions being annoying and I agree. :Love:

Its funny being a newbie I have only posted one question and got a lovely reply but I do read other threads such as this one talking about newbies posting silly questions. It definitely puts me off looking for advice, as maybe my questions are too basic. I understand about repetitive questions being annoying and I agree. :Love:

Hi GemmaLou, please carry on asking questions, the questions you asked were about straightforward hairdressing, the posts everyone gets their knickers in a twist about are the 'extensions' threads which mostly consist of 'where can I buy the cheapest hair' etc.
I've asked some pretty basic questions during my time on here, sometimes the search facility doesn't get you to the right answer.
A lot of the geeks which were on here when I joined and have given out brilliant free advice have been chased away by nonsense geeks who have trolled their posts and generally stirred up trouble for them, you'll soon get to know the geeks to trust and then if they get cheesed off and stop posting you'll feel miffed like me.:Love:

Salon Geek represents the cross section of the industry, I believe.

If the governing bodies are approving courses in say extentionists without being fully time served hairdressers then that should be a gripe with the governing bodies, not Salon Geek.

Your hair industry are saying they are hair professionals. Same goes for the short colouring courses.

Salon Geek is what you all make it and if you choose to make it a bitching site then that is what it will be!

No one makes you all come here and give your experience and share your knowledge, we are all grateful to those who do and who give it willingly and free of charge.

What will not be allowed is people who come on merely to criticise those newbies who have done an approved course and ask questions which tme served hairdressers will see as "silly".

As professional time served hairdressers is it not better to try and encourage newbies to extend their training to become fully fledged time served hair professionals rather than to make them feel that they are a nuisance and an insult to your industry.

No one has been chased away unless they choose to feel chased away!

Hi GemmaLou, please carry on asking questions, the questions you asked were about straightforward hairdressing, the posts everyone gets their knickers in a twist about are the 'extensions' threads which mostly consist of 'where can I buy the cheapest hair' etc.
I've asked some pretty basic questions during my time on here, sometimes the search facility doesn't get you to the right answer.
A lot of the geeks which were on here when I joined and have given out brilliant free advice have been chased away by nonsense geeks who have trolled their posts and generally stirred up trouble for them, you'll soon get to know the geeks to trust and then if they get cheesed off and stop posting you'll feel miffed like me.:Love:

Thanks for your reply Penners, was slightly anxious about my post. I do agree there should be an extensions section. I love this site I've learned so much just by reading questions here :)

Thanks for your reply Penners, was slightly anxious about my post. I do agree there should be an extensions section. I love this site I've learned so much just by reading questions here :)

Good girl, and Penners is quite right, please don't feel you can't ask any question you need an answer to :hug:

I think you will probably have a good idea of the kind of irritating questions the OP and some of the others are referring to :wink2:

I tell my Apprentices and staff to ask as many questions and never be scared to ask it!

Even if they have to ask it many times over, perhaps it is me that is not explaining clearly rather than they do not understand

I am neither here nor there. i don't consider myself as a beginner nor do i consider myself a professional and salon geek has been a life line for me at times when I saw no end to some pretty nasty problems.
I watched this thread since it started and have to admit got me really fummed as to tell the truth I feel a bit intimidated about posting any questions now thinking wo I might get it in the neck for this.

well I jst might about wat i will say next:D

I don't knw why everyone gets so upset about otc products. I mean sure not all of them work but neither do all professional salon products (which i might add are mostly too expensive for people to buy these days). personally i've always found a mixture of the two is a good combo to go with.

you can now start the stoning lol!!!:cool:

I am neither here nor there. i don't consider myself as a beginner nor do i consider myself a professional and salon geek has been a life line for me at times when I saw no end to some pretty nasty problems.
I watched this thread since it started and have to admit got me really fummed as to tell the truth I feel a bit intimidated about posting any questions now thinking wo I might get it in the neck for this.

well I jst might about wat i will say next:D

I don't knw why everyone gets so upset about otc products. I mean sure not all of them work but neither do all professional salon products (which i might add are mostly too expensive for people to buy these days). personally i've always found a mixture of the two is a good combo to go with.

you can now start the stoning lol!!!:cool:

See just there where you presumed people won't buy them.....first bad habit and I bet you don't retail much! I sell Alot of products for a small salon! My rep can't believe it :)

And why not? It's easy money and profit... Go on a product training course and how to retail and see your bank balance grow!

See just there where you presumed people won't buy them.....first bad habit and I bet you don't retail much! I sell Alot of products for a small salon! My rep can't believe it :)

And why not? It's easy money and profit... Go on a product training course and how to retail and see your bank balance grow!

Exactly Bluerinse, I also retail a lot and it is easy money but ultimately it reflects your work when using Proffessional products, you don't want to do a gorgeous colour then have them go home an use an OTC product an strip it all out :)

It's not about selling, it's about educating! Give your client the info and they can do what they want with it.

Also, a lot of salon products are more economical as they are v concentrated, so for example with a Professional shampoo, if a client uses this properly, I bet they spend less on shampoo than they did when they were buying tesco rubbish and using half the bottle each time they washed their hair!

See....I know it all but I don't do it much :-/

currently my bank account is growing steadily through the unmentionable trade of EXTENSIONS hehe... however I am thinking of supplying the shapoos and conditioner to go with it once i've got enough capital to do so.
However once that starts dying down as it inevitably does I will look towards the next best thing. two years ago it was the bed head craze, this year it's extensions. I didn't keep track of last year but trends come and go so my message is be patient and next year will be something new;)

Latest posts

Back