Hair | Grey Hair: Scientists Get To The Root Of The Problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
If those pesky grey hairs are becoming more and more persistent and you're not willing to embrace the Philip-Schofield-School of grey styling, then fear not. Help is at hand. While investigating possible treatments for the skin disease vitiligo, scientists have discovered the secret of why our hair turns grey and, even better, have figured out a way to reverse it and prevent it!

The report, published by the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), reveals that grey hair is a result of a build of hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicle caused by "massive epidermal oxdative stress." The report reveals that the hydrogen peroxide forced the hair to effectively bleach itself from the inside out.

No less than 2,411 international patients with vitiligo were analysed and treated with a drug called pseudocatalase which, when activated by sunlight, returned the pigment of skin and eyelashes.

Gerald Weissman, FASEB Journal Editor-in-Chief, explains that this could be applied to grey hair to reverse it or indeed prevent it. "For generations, numerous remedies have been concocted to hide grey hair but now, for the first time, an actually treatment that gets to the root of the problem has been developed."

The priority is obviously developing the research for the treatment of vitiligo but for all you reluctant silver foxes, the light has been switched on at the end of the tunnel.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000010002083XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000010002083XSmall.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 275
finally!! ive been getting fed up with covering my grey every 3 weeks!!

Lets hope they release a treatment ASAP!!! Used to love that my hair grew so quickly, now its a curse - have to touch my roots up every two weeks.

Omg I have vitaligo and as a hairdresser I'm not grey on my head one bit! Lucky iam however I have random white patches over my skin! Interesting! X

Less clients coming in for gray touchups:(

Oh, this is good news indeed.

Wonder how many years before the treatment hits the market? Want it now!

Not good news for hairdressers

Latest posts

Back