Hair salon employer's contracts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Successful24

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm sorry this is so Long but could you please help a employee in need Thank You,

okay basically I'm a fully qualified hairdresser been hairdressing for 5 1/2 years now.
my 1st paid job after level 3 @ college was three days a week In a busy town centre which come with a signed Contract & Perm. position but mini wage.
as I desired much more after 2 1/2 years I wanted to start my driving lessons so I asked to have more hours meaning more pay.. But unfortunately they had none to offer me.
so I searched for more hours and more pay. I came across I job vacancy offering full time @5.00 per hour but 16-18 miles away. as full time jobs were really hard to come by I took it.
I started working for somebody with ZERO knowledge about hairdressing but had dreams to run there own business. it felt like a exciting project and goal to be apart of, to have gain my license I longed for and to be apart of a growing business was amazing BUT .....as months and years went by with increase of pay and holidays taken and hard work i built up a strong clientele I began to wonder where was my contract..?? never signed a thing only in the beginning I Received a letter stating hours and days and my start date of employment & holidays.

Now the more I get busy then less rewards I receive sounds crazy right.. My Current employer is now VAT registered which now effects my commission by 20% the target to reach commission is almost impossible..

I've been looking into self employment. My Main question is where do I stand about advertising and radius of working. while having no Contract?? :rolleyes:and if I was to change my hours does this effect my current situation..?:sad:

PLEASE HELP ME

Simple.

You can do what you like if you've not agreed to anything with your employer about working outside the salon.

You could even work for a rival salon for x hours per week, if you wanted to.

Salon owners who don't supply written contracts and salon handbooks are just asking for employment problems, in my opinion.

With no contract stating otherwise, you can work where you like :)
You will be far better off paying your £25 a day ( my rates, others may differ) and going self employed renting a chair, the down side is, no holiday/sick pay, very little wage if you have a quiet day, however the upside is more money in your hand, the clients you gain are yours, not the salons,
All my girls are self employed and I wouldn't have it any other way,
Say from £65 for a full head foils inc cut and finish, = 2.5 - 3 hours on your £5 ph you get only £15 for that, instead of the £65+
Go for it :)

Thanks for your post everyone :) im quailified in hair extension and my boss knows and he still feels the need to say not to advertise locally Even Tho he doesnt offer it as a SERVICE! What a joke really makes me laugh more than anything..
Its nice to hear other peoples views on it keep the posts coming :p xx

Last edited:
With no contract stating that you can't work elsewhere, you are indeed free to do what you like, however, be prepared that your employer won't be happy when he/she finds out. At best they could ask you to sign an employment contract which states that you cannot set up a business in competition with your employer, which is standard in most employment contracts.
As for the vat, sadly the government has dipped their hand in the till, not your employer. I know it sucks, but it's not the salons fault I'm afraid.

But i could refuse to sign a contract at this point. Because he missed the opportunity to give me a contract (2 months from start date) why should i sign now..
He couldnt sack me for not signing it ..would be unfair dismissal, Right?

Last edited:
How long have you worked there? There are rules about these things, which you would need to discuss with ACAS, I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it's as easy as that. In general, it's accepted that you cannot work in direct competition with your employer.
If you've been employed more than two years with the same employer, you have certain protection, but it still doesn't protect you from a gross misconduct.

I'll look that up. Ive been there 3 years and 2 months

Last edited:
ACAS are great. Worth a call.

Anybody expirencing the same problem let me know x

Technically you are still bound to there contract even though you have not signed one. It's sounds daft but it's true.
If you don't agree with there contract then they have to give you the option to leave immediately. I've had girls in the past who have not wanted to sign my contract so I asked ACAS and they basically said that.
The only thing your not bound too by not signing is your working days and hours, but that works both ways also. But if she has given you a letter stating that then she has covered herself.
Hope that helps. But give ACAS a call to confirm. X

Yeah i hear what your saying.. there was no contract to start of my employment anyways other than a written statement..I'll deffiently give acas a call in the morning

Latest posts

Back