Hair salon owners/managers-what do you look for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinnyjinbob

Reaction score
As above. What do you guys look for In a great CV for a prospective employee?
x
Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Anyone can write a CV, a lot of people get them written by others. I can make the most basic of CV's look outstanding without having to move away from the truth. The proof is always in the pudding.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Good thread! This is going to be interesting always wanted to know how other managers see things when interviewing.

I have no intention of getting someone else to write mine. I wondered whether there was something in particular which grabs a potential employers eye or sets a candidate above others.
I have just included the basics - quals, employment history etc. It's written honestly with a brief personal statement at the beginning to give a little feel of what I'm about.
Do any salon owners have any opinions on this? I'm looking for useful advice/criticism.

Thanks
X

The proof is obviously in how the candidate performs. But in a day and age where there are so many applicants for one position it's important to set yourself above the rest, even on paper so that you can get to interview stage.

A good layout, impeccable spelling and an impressive cover letter. I got an email the other week with no title, no content but an attached CV. Certainly made an impression, just not the correct one.

A good layout, impeccable spelling and an impressive cover letter. I got an email the other week with no title, no content but an attached CV. Certainly made an impression, just not the correct one.

That's good to know, thank you. I'd have thought these things would go without saying, but obviously some applicants don't share that opinion. My layout is clear and concise. And I'm one of these annoying people who has no time for error when it comes to spelling and grammar. I despair at some of the things I see on social media! Hopefully there will be no problems on that part.
What do you consider to be important content in a covering letter? x

Cover letters!!

We just get CVs, looks like people just sent them out to everyone. Then you have to waste time ringing people back who don't want to be hairdressers.

Spelling, two pages max!

I had one the other day, it had been edited with pen, bits of paper stuck on over spelling mistakes, came in with her mum and asked to borrow my stapler. Straight. In.The.Bin.

Cover letters!!

We just get CVs, looks like people just sent them out to everyone. Then you have to waste time ringing people back who don't want to be hairdressers.

Spelling, two pages max!

I had one the other day, it had been edited with pen, bits of paper stuck on over spelling mistakes, came in with his mum and asked to borrow my stapler. Straight. In.The.Bin.

I'm waiting for your reply ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This isn't to do with cvs but my boss told me she employs people who have polished clean shoes as they are usually perfectionists which is what she wants 😄

I'm waiting for your reply ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I knew it was yours - didn't have the heart to PM you so thought I would post it on here.

Cvs are important but to me the trade test to be the most important. and lets you see what a stylist can and cannot do with their work. My ex boss didn't care about a cv as long they can do a bloody good haircut and finish. It's like virtues said anybody can have a cv written for them.

Just put a bit of effort in. If you've had someone help with your CV - good on you for getting off your butt and doing SOMETHING. Same with cover letter. I want to see a bit of passion, literacy skills and genuine want for the job.

If you can't be assed writing a cover letter, how will I know you can be assed to come in to work, show your best work with each client? It says more about the person than is actually written on that piece of paper.

For me - it's correct spelling, good layout and proof that you're hard working.

If you've never done any voluntary work / actual work / extra qualifications - but you left school 10 years ago - then I will probably disregard your C.V, even though I know that's horrible. It's just with so many free courses available (especially in my town, through our local chamber of commerce, work schemes, women's charities etc.) it shows a lack of initiative.

Also if you're replying to a job post make sure you read it properly. If somebody asks for X,Y,Z please make sure you include it - I did this on a recent advertisement and only 3/64people bothered.

And mention in your cover letter that you have a portfolio of work available to view. Keep a copy on your onedrive if you have a Microsoft email account in case they ask you to email it to them.

Just put a bit of effort in. If you've had someone help with your CV - good on you for getting off your butt and doing SOMETHING. Same with cover letter. I want to see a bit of passion, literacy skills and genuine want for the job.

If you can't be assed writing a cover letter, how will I know you can be assed to come in to work, show your best work with each client? It says more about the person than is actually written on that piece of paper.

I'm a poor speller I'll admit but it hasn't stopped me from having job. I don't think it should either.

Also can I ask what do you managers think of people not turning up for interviews without notice? My salon last year was expecting a girl to come in for a interview and kept ringing her up and she wasn't answering and then 3days later she phoned up saying she forgot. My manager told her the position has been filled and left it at that. He were too annoyed as some were waiting for a response.

I understand that writing a CV and all that comes with it sometimes isn't someone's strong point however, you can always ask someone to spell check it for you. That shows that you care about getting the job.

If you don't turn up to interview then how do I know you are going to turn up to work? I may sound harsh but first impressions...

Not do do with a cv but a portfolio of your work. You can then talk through what you did and why with your potential employer x

Don'ts......

Ask for employee to reimburse bus fare to interview
Ask which bus from your house goes to the salon.
Put 'xxxx' on any correspondence.
Text. (Especially to say you are lost)
Use text speak.
Say you only want part time as you've just left school and want to ease yourself into full time work.
Apply for an apprentice job with no intention of ever being a hairdresser, just because you want a job.
(I've had all of the above)

Do's
Research the salon you are seeking employment at. Don't make out you've just sent a generic CV to every salon on the high road.
Talk about goals, what your passions are.
Have some knowledge on the industry
Be willing to do at least 4/5 stages of a recruitment process.
Research a few industry names- ( like be able to name who just won british hairdresser of the year.
Look smart. Do your hair neatly. Get it coloured and cut and look like you maintain it.

I'd look for all of the above, I did receive a cv last week which had a photograph of the candidate on the cv and it had a nice cover letter too, the way it was set out made me want to take an extra bit of time looking over it tbh, it was from a 16 year old school leaver I was very impressed :)

I don't know about everyone else, but I prefer it when somebody comes in with their CV for me, rather than post it.
It gives me a chance to quickly meet them and establish first impressions! Also shows willing and dedication.
I've had people try and apply through FACEBOOK!!!! I've also had people phone regarding a vacancy but have no questions to ask as it's all already on the job posting!
Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back