Hair salon owners -need some info about chair renting please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfectbeauty

Reaction score
Hi

I have just taken on new premises for beauty and nail salon - as they are large am considering turning one of the rooms into a small hair salon

so I can decide whether to pursue this idea - wondered if anyone can help me with some information
  • do you ask self employed chair renters to do trade tests
  • if so what trade tests would be standard in the industry
  • do they supply their own models /products for trade test
  • what furniture/fixtures/facilities do you include in your chair rent (I offer room rent for beauty but not sure if hair industry works along similar lines)
  • if there were 3 hair stations/chairs is 1 backwash station sufficient
  • is percent or fixed rate rent preferred in hair salons
thanks very much in advance

Nicola

Last edited:
hi congrats and good luck!

i rent a chair and it is on a fixed price basis
i have a contract drawn up and the stylist must have public liability insurance and provide me all the details
i got my current stylist to do my hair as a trade test, but she worked for the competitor salon anyway for 6 years and i knew of her
she provides her own towels as i am not funding the washing etc of those and her own products
she runs her own book and has to pay for the day regardless of how long she is in the chair, and a month up front too

regarding the 1 basin vs 3 chairs, i survived like that for ages, i only recently renovated with 2 basins for my 3 chairs, i am about to move into a salon with 6 stations and still only 2 basins, the predesessor (sp) had 9 stations and 2 basins, that would be a worry.

hope ive helped a bit.

hi thanks for your reply - it was helpful and given me a starting point

thank you
x

I dont ask chair renters to trade test
I ask employees to trade test a cut and colour. I supply the colour and they supply a model
They get a chair, mirror and trolley,they supply their own products/gowns/towels/equipment. They launder their own towels.
They pay a fixed weekly rent then choose their own hours.Our contract states I will open the salon within the published opeing hours and they work within those.
I don't do % splits as we are vat registered, so their takings must not go through my till.

thanks hun for reply - was along lines of what i was thinking of doing so thats great

:hug:

I employ all my staff, no renting, But seems to me everyone does things a little different. Regarding trade testing, this is how I look at it. Anything and everything that comes and goes from my salon is tied to me. Reputation will only be as good as your weakest stylist. I would absolutely test her, and I would absorb the cost myself, as its really an option not a rule. Good luck with your new venture!

Latest posts

Back