Hair training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bettierae

Reaction score
Hi, I have an established nail/beauty salon. 2010 is my year to train!

We don't do hair at all. I don't want to add hair cutting/colouring to the salon, but I get a lot of requests for hair extensions/wedding packages (inc make up, clip in hair, lhair up do's straightening, curling, ashes etc).

I'm looking for advice as to what training to get. I understand I need some hair experience to cut hair extensions in properly. I want to be able to offer an excellent service with top quality hair.

What I need to know is...
What training would you recommend to get started? Yorkshire pref, but manc, birmingham, notts all okay. can travel if necessary)

Is it even possible to offer these services without having a dedicated hair salon?

Will I be able to add these skills to my existing salon insurance policy when I qualify?

What hair to use? i've heard of raccoon and cinderella, only because they are available round here, but I've been doing a bitof research and have read bohyme elite is good quality?

Can I get training for the cutting seperately? without doing colours? I have noticed some hair extension courses only spend the minimum time on the actual cutting in.

What sort of cost roughly would you say for setting up, course and a good selection of good quality hair?

I have clients waiting for this, so will be able to get lots of practice in, will NOT be charging a lot til i'm cracking at it!

Any other advice would be appreciated....

I KNOW i've gone on a bit, but I really want to get this right, I feel it is the perfect next step for my salon, and my career.

thanks on advance for all your help x

Why not ask the freelance hairdressers around you and take a percentage? To try and dabble in a bit of hair is not really how it works. Haidressers train for a minimum of 2 years for a very good reason! I have done many repair jobs and been expert witness when hair extentions have gone wrong for non hairdressers who have done a few days ext course.

no, sorry, I don't mean I want to train in two days and knock out shoddy work. This is part of an 18 month plan I have. I Want to start training early this year, and I don't expect to be competent until at least the middle of next year. I have a good rep for my salon, especially my nails already, I'm not going to ruin that jsut for the sake of quick cash.

Hope that explained myself better.
My salon isn't right to put a hairdresser in. And there are a few hairdressers on my street already. I'm hoping to tap into the need for this service in my local area.

I ABSOLUTELY don't want a quick fasttrack fix, I am asking all these questions so that if and when I get training I do it very well informed.

Any help really appreciated, rachael

I'm afraid that my advice is to grow the services that fit your salon, If there are a few hairdressers around you, and you don't have space for a prof hairdresser, I fail to see why you want to train full time for 18 months. (that is how long it takes to reach the most basic level of competency)
To compete with the other salons around you would take an experienced stylist. If your salon is doing well with beauty and nails, then taking you out of it for the amount of time hair training takes would surely be detrimental?

I feel its a service that would complement my salon. I get asked for it. My clients know I take such pride in my work, and thats maybe why I get requests for things. If the salon down the road did it they would maybe go there, but then again they would maybe still pester me to do it! i'm not saying I want to cram it into 18 months, IF it can't be done. I gave myself a guide of 18 months. Thats why I put all these questions on, to see if it was a pie in the sky idea, or achieveable. If its a two year/three year goal then great i'll do that. I don't know, so thats why I'm asking.

I appreciate all your comments, and I understand what ou are saying, You've really given me some things to think about. Its something i'd LOVE to do, even if I only ever did it on my mum and my sisters! (thats how I ended up with a career in nails lol) BUT.... If its a non starter, a real non starter, then at least i've looked into it, and made an educated decision. Thanks again hun, you've really given me food for thought, Rachael

Hair is a HUGE subject. To do it to any kind of standard takes years of practise. It is not knowledge based like a big part of beauty therapy, but very skill based. It is one of those things that looks real easy when you watch, but is shockingly difficult to master. Have a look at some of the "EEK i've sodded up someones hair" threads lol.
Saks do a fast track, 20 week intense course which would cover the basics if you are not trying to get employment as a hairdresser.
I just question the wisdom of trying to master another trade on the basis that a few of your clients like your approach to beauty. I have complete mastery of hair and am immensly proud of my work. Am pretty crap at lots of other things tho!

alright.. I give.... when you put it like that. I can'tsay i'll completely give up on the idea, but when you put it like you did I can really see your point. Maybe i am trying to do too many things, but i'm thirty this year, and really want to have something tos how for my year! I'll keep you posted if anything happens, or changes. Thanks again, you've been a real help, Rachael

Latest posts

Back