Hard gels popping off tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'll preface my question by saying that I am a student (currently on leave from school).

Recently I purchased my first pot of hard gel; Tones Pro Builder Gel Plus; and because I'm apparently a masochist, I've been practicing with it on my own nails. Tonight in particular I just sculpted four nails. One of those was a "redo", as the gel had begun to separate from the tip I'd glued to that nail. I didn't think anything of it except that my prep must have been wrong somewhere. However, I had another tip on the index finger of my other hand, untouched by gel; because the natural nail broke off halfway up my nail bed! I meticulously prepped, applied, filed, and exactly when I had finished all of that work, it just popped right off! The whole sculpted nail! Perfectly intact! What on earth happened?? I've been doing research and I'm sure I did my prep right. Why only the nail with a tip again??? I'd really appreciate any help answering these questions. I'm honestly at a loss...

I'll preface my question by saying that I am a student (currently on leave from school).

Recently I purchased my first pot of hard gel; Tones Pro Builder Gel Plus; and because I'm apparently a masochist, I've been practicing with it on my own nails. Tonight in particular I just sculpted four nails. One of those was a "redo", as the gel had begun to separate from the tip I'd glued to that nail. I didn't think anything of it except that my prep must have been wrong somewhere. However, I had another tip on the index finger of my other hand, untouched by gel; because the natural nail broke off halfway up my nail bed! I meticulously prepped, applied, filed, and exactly when I had finished all of that work, it just popped right off! The whole sculpted nail! Perfectly intact! What on earth happened?? I've been doing research and I'm sure I did my prep right. Why only the nail with a tip again??? I'd really appreciate any help answering these questions. I'm honestly at a loss...
Hi! Ok so firstly if you have to apply a tip to a natural nail then it is not called a sculpted nail, a sculpture nail is done by using a nail form do you mind me asking who you are doing your training with? Also have you tried gently filing the natural nail so that the gel will stick better and if you are using tips you will need to file over the whole tip to take off the shine otherwise your gel will not stick and just peel away . An acidless primer should also be used only on the nail plate to help the Gel bond to your natural nail but don't apply primer to the tip .. also check your glue I LOVE the ASP glue from Sally's it's amazing x

Hi! Ok so firstly if you have to apply a tip to a natural nail then it is not called a sculpted nail, a sculpture nail is done by using a nail form do you mind me asking who you are doing your training with? Also have you tried gently filing the natural nail so that the gel will stick better and if you are using tips you will need to file over the whole tip to take off the shine otherwise your gel will not stick and just peel away . An acidless primer should also be used only on the nail plate to help the Gel bond to your natural nail but don't apply primer to the tip .. also check your glue I LOVE the ASP glue from Sally's it's amazing x

Oh geez, I'm so sorry, I've had quite a time since first posting! My life has been a bit crazy :confused: First, I should clarify that the tip was only long enough to reach the end of my finger, so I did actually apply a form under it and extend the gel well past it. Second, I'm not really...training with anyone? I'm going to a beauty school, and they're very hands off. In fact, I'm the only one even specializing in nails, let alone taking the nails course exclusively. Come to think of it, they didn't even buckle down on liquid to powder ratios in acrylics. I'm really on my own here...

I did indeed gently buff the natural nail, as well as made sure all cuticle and dust were removed from the nail plate. I'm certain I filed the whole tip, too. Tones' builder gel claims to be a one-step, so I shouldn't need any bonder or primer. I've never had any problems with my glue, either. The tip didn't lift off my nail at all; instead, the gel popped off the tip. The kicker is, the gel is still perfectly adhered on my tip-less nails after two weeks.

Oh geez, I'm so sorry, I've had quite a time since first posting! My life has been a bit crazy :confused: First, I should clarify that the tip was only long enough to reach the end of my finger, so I did actually apply a form under it and extend the gel well past it. Second, I'm not really...training with anyone? I'm going to a beauty school, and they're very hands off. In fact, I'm the only one even specializing in nails, let alone taking the nails course exclusively. Come to think of it, they didn't even buckle down on liquid to powder ratios in acrylics. I'm really on my own here...

I did indeed gently buff the natural nail, as well as made sure all cuticle and dust were removed from the nail plate. I'm certain I filed the whole tip, too. Tones' builder gel claims to be a one-step, so I shouldn't need any bonder or primer. I've never had any problems with my glue, either. The tip didn't lift off my nail at all; instead, the gel popped off the tip. The kicker is, the gel is still perfectly adhered on my tip-less nails after two weeks.
What exactly do you mean that the tip is only long enough to reach the edge of your nail? Tips are supposed to be glued exactly at that spot...
I think you are using the wrong tips. There are full nail tips that are used as nail art displays, no contact with your nails. And then there are normal tips which are glued at the edge of your nail, so your nail bed and cuticle area should be free. I can't imagine anyone needing to add a form underneath unless you are going for extra long stilettos.
Lastly, there are some mini tips (I guess you call them that) that are just the smile line. These come mostly from china and are not professionally sold. They are applied like normal tips and save you the time of filing the edge to shape.

However, any tip you choose to use, you need to thoroughly buff it before you move on to the primer.
One step gels usually mean they don't need any base coat, but they usually have a primer.

What exactly do you mean that the tip is only long enough to reach the edge of your nail? Tips are supposed to be glued exactly at that spot...
I think you are using the wrong tips. There are full nail tips that are used as nail art displays, no contact with your nails. And then there are normal tips which are glued at the edge of your nail, so your nail bed and cuticle area should be free. I can't imagine anyone needing to add a form underneath unless you are going for extra long stilettos.
Lastly, there are some mini tips (I guess you call them that) that are just the smile line. These come mostly from china and are not professionally sold. They are applied like normal tips and save you the time of filing the edge to shape.

However, any tip you choose to use, you need to thoroughly buff it before you move on to the primer.
One step gels usually mean they don't need any base coat, but they usually have a primer.

I think you may have misread my post. The tip only reached the end of my finger, not the end of my nail. My natural nail had broken off a good way into my nail plate, so to prevent any further pain or damage I applied a tip and cut it so it didn't extend past the end of my finger. I would send a picture to help explain, but my nail has grown out now and it wouldn't do much good.

Maybe I really didn't buff the tip. I could have sworn I did, but maybe it's as simple as that. I've been frustrated to the point of tears scouring the internet for more in depth reviews on Tones' builder gel besides "it's the best" or "I love it", and the very few I found didn't use a primer or a base coat. In fact they stated that both were unnecessary. I didn't use either on my own nails, and it applied beautifully; no lifting or cracking, have stayed on for 2 weeks at least. Except for my nails with tips. But maybe it really is that I simply neglected to buff them for whatever reason. It's entirely possible. I'll attempt it again and update the thread when I have.

I think you may have misread my post. The tip only reached the end of my finger, not the end of my nail. My natural nail had broken off a good way into my nail plate, so to prevent any further pain or damage I applied a tip and cut it so it didn't extend past the end of my finger. I would send a picture to help explain, but my nail has grown out now and it wouldn't do much good.

Maybe I really didn't buff the tip. I could have sworn I did, but maybe it's as simple as that. I've been frustrated to the point of tears scouring the internet for more in depth reviews on Tones' builder gel besides "it's the best" or "I love it", and the very few I found didn't use a primer or a base coat. In fact they stated that both were unnecessary. I didn't use either on my own nails, and it applied beautifully; no lifting or cracking, have stayed on for 2 weeks at least. Except for my nails with tips. But maybe it really is that I simply neglected to buff them for whatever reason. It's entirely possible. I'll attempt it again and update the thread when I have.
Oh indeed it seems I have quite misunderstood. Sorry! [emoji1]

Oh indeed it seems I have quite misunderstood. Sorry! [emoji1]

No worries, I know I do it all the time! And it gave me the chance to clarify a little better :D (I never knew about those mini tips, either, and now I'm very curious)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300880789613

Just to give you an idea what it is. I would avoid them however.

Well they're cute, I'll give them that! I can't see much practical use for them, though; aside from a lack of other products (white gel or acrylic) or the rush jobs that chop shops expect their techs to do...

Not idea as I've never actually used them myself!

Latest posts

Back