Has anyone else started a new career in nails, am I mad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adele0116

Reaction score
Sweet squared L&P course 21-24 March Manchester

I'm attending the course during the Easter break as a complete novice....... :-}

I'm hoping it can be part of my plan to eventually be self employed and start my own business etc, but it's very daunting now i'm in my 40's...

I've been given the opportunity to rent a nail station in a friends beauty salon and i'm hoping it can be the start of something good!!

Has anyone else had a change of career???? and can anyone offer any advice to me to helo make a go of it all?????

There are loads of us who have taken the plunge at a later stage of life, I started 12 years ago when I was 34 after coming out of IT & Telecoms, big change, absolutely what I needed and nails is what I love. You're never too old. Good luck with your course and new venture :D

Honestly 40's is still young and don't let that daunt you! I know some really successful therapists who have started full time in 50's and older. X

Go for it. I changed at 38, still going at 53 working from home and it's the best thing I've ever done. Love it. You've got nothing to lose

I started at 31 was very liberating doing something I loved

Becoming a technician is almost like a journey! You can do this at any age and you have started off on the right path going in with CND! Hope you enjoy your first course xxx

I'm in my 40's and did my course January this year, bit daunting at first but loving the change. Relax and enjoy, best of luck x

I started a 3 month nail course on Feb. 1 at the age of 48. One thing I highly recommend is to make sure you are practising with good product. My school refuses to get good product especially acrylic and I am having an extremely hard time with it. It dries way to fast for someone to learn with so make sure you are learning with a slower setting product.

Sweet squared L&P course 21-24 March Manchester

I'm attending the course during the Easter break as a complete novice....... :-}

I'm hoping it can be part of my plan to eventually be self employed and start my own business etc, but it's very daunting now i'm in my 40's...

I've been given the opportunity to rent a nail station in a friends beauty salon and i'm hoping it can be the start of something good!!

Has anyone else had a change of career???? and can anyone offer any advice to me to helo make a go of it all?????
I've been in the hair trade for almost 30 years, l
I started a 3 month nail course on Feb. 1 at the age of 48. One thing I highly recommend is to make sure you are practising with good product. My school refuses to get good product especially acrylic and I am having an extremely hard time with it. It dries way to fast for someone to learn with so make sure you are learning with a slower setting product.

I've been in the hair trade for almost 30 years, l
I've been in the hair trade for almost 30 years, and I did a manicure and pedicure course in January and a Gellux gel polish course in February. I'm mobile and hoping to fit the hair and nails in side by side. I'm also in my 40's and am enjoying the change. I've turned to social media as a way to promote by new nails as I don't normally advertise and just use word of mouth and it seems to be steadily growing. Good luck with it all and I'm sure you'll love it.

I'm in my 40's and did my course January this year, bit daunting at first but loving the change. Relax and enjoy, best of luck x

So, how are you doing so far? Are you doing this full time or just in your spare time at the moment?
I currently work full time but Id like to either have my own salon or look into converting the garage at home.......decisions, decisions....its a bit scary though LOL x

I'm 30 and just training at the moment. I don't think there is an age limit on anything, you should do what you enjoy! I used to be a Business Development Manager but stopped for health reasons and now I'm training to be a self employed Nail Tech. All the best x

I quit my permanent job April last year in favour of agency work doing the same job, so I could have more flexability. so I take time off when I need or want to as I don't have to book holiday days. Then this year I decided to do the full nail cours and loved it. Steep learning curve and lots of practice.

I was going to do some mobile and some from home when not doing my normal job but when I started asking around to see if people were interested, they said they would prefer to come to me so I took over the dining room. I put up a wall polish rack and got a narrow table (both from ebay) as I would rather spend most money on product at the moment. and so far I have had 3 Official clients, 2 for acrylics and 1 for paraffin wax. and only been set up for 2 weeks now. I do not have set days for my normal job so I have booked clients in for their prefered day and done my normal job around them. So far it's good, I was really nervous for my first client but started talking and relaxed a bit, I have been informing them that recrently trained so giving a discount and so they are fully aware.

You go for it, I didn't start til I was 48 and it's great.[emoji5]️

I started at 27 after working as physio assistant in neurology neuro surgery for 7 years. I took the plunge whilst on maternity leave and decided to study then, I had planned on going to college part time the year before but I found out I was pregnant. Best thing I've ever done ! Good luck if it is what you really want to do you will love it and be successful [emoji173]️[emoji8]

My nail technician when I was 16 - 19 before I trained started in her 40's she had a little salon just for her then took over the shop next door and worked herself along with her sister, daughter and me when I qualified. I moved away when I fell pregnant but she's since moved on to another salon and still working now in her 50's. I trained at 19 in acrylics first, I worked for a couple of years but when I fell pregnant I moved away and once my son was born the doctors believed I had postnatal depression, the medications they put me on sent me out of control and after a few years they realised I had bipolar disorder and should never of been on antidepressants - it took 4 years to stabilise me and I then did a acrylic sculpting course and gel polish followed by acrylic design and 3d acrylic, I set up a little salon which really took off, when my lease was up we relocated to the midlands which triggered a manic episode, follow by a depressive one - I've now been stable just over a month - I'm booked on an acrylic skills and sculpting course and a vintage gel art with Gemma Lambert in June (every time I get ill I HAVE to do more courses cos I'm paranoid I've lost the skills) if I'm still stable after this I'll be looking for a little place to rent and build up here.
If you've got the passion you will do it, age is no barrier Good luck!

Hey, it's never too late like everyone has said. I felt too old to start doing it at my age now (25) I've been at college for 2 years studying art and design, was previously working at a nursery full time.
I've secured a place at uni but have had this massive feeling come over me to not carry on education but to start a career in nails by doing courses while working part time as this was my initial plan of action.
What I'm put off by is how there is so many people with salons these days and actually making a successful career out of it all, but I guess you'll never know unless you try right?
If it's something you long for then you'll do just fine, I feel exactly the same as you, but you need to forget the doubt and take the plunge.

:)

Latest posts

Back